Thursday, September 13, 2012

Rhythm Of Life


I don't want to be a passenger in my own life.

Diane Ackerman
*******************
Hello Lily
*******************
As far back as I can remember people have been telling me what to do, what not to do, where to go, where not to go, what to think and what not to think. Now I'm just as pleased to listen to sound advice as the next vagabond. But why is it so often dressed in the garb of orders? What do they want me to say "Yes Sir" and "Yes Ma'am"? I will tell you honestly I have made more mistakes than I can list in a leather bound volumn by following my so-called superior's orders.

My fault. Freidrich Nietzsche says that one of the most important qualities a human possesses is instinct. Churches tell us that instinct is bad, a sin, that people who rely on instincts are amoral. I have learned in the School of Hard Knocks to trust my instincts in so far as they are part of my reasoning process. Some of the other helpful qualities a human can exercise are preference, taste, visualization and imagination. There's no guaranty that even utizing those tools you will make the right decision. But the important thing is that it was your decision and not someone else's. And if it was the wrong one you will know why.

I spent too many years with someone else driving the car while I was taken wherever they wanted and let out on their playing field. I applaud myself for making the most out of bad situations. But I learned by trial and error, mostly error, to drive the car myself.

Another important quality, which is usually overlooked and is often the cause of a mangled result from following orders, is the fact of your own rhythm of life. Another person's rhythm is not yours. It's a hard thing to realize, to even know there is a difference in rhythm. Everyone moves, thinks, feels and does at a different pace and when you find and move at your pace things seem to harmonize themselves. Pay no attention to those who want you to hurry up or wait up, unless you are trying to keep pace with them. Find your own distinct, personal, beautiful, rhythm of life and live it.

DB - The Vagabond
Never give up.
************************

1 comment:

Arlene (AJ) said...

I'm always willing to listen to what you have to say or your thoughts on something, but when it comes to me, the final decision on what I do or don't do is mine only to decide.