Sunday, October 4, 2009

Unexpected Undertaking 10/04/09

Love is good. Love with noodles is better.

Unknown
(I think it's an Amish saying. It sounds like it.)
*********************
Come walk with me.
__________________
After posting "Temporary Tacking" just after midnight, I retired to bed. When I awoke I could not stand on my left leg. Trying to get around my apartment has been severely painful. I have to grab a hold of everything if I want to move from one place to another. If it doesn't improve by Monday I will have to hobble to the RiteAid and buy some crutches. That's normally a 15 minute walk.

I am one of those that the crack pots are trying to deprive of health insurance.

So if you happen to see an old geezer looking like Sasquatch with a NY Yankees cap on, limping down the street, that's me. Wave
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Years ago, when I was living in New York, I drove to Allenberry, Pennsylvania, to see my friend Lowell performing in an Offenbach operetta. On the way I passed through the Amish territory. At one spot there was a yard sale, so I stopped to look. Among the items on display were some beautiful cedar chests. While I was fussing with one, trying to get it open, a young Amish man with his straw hat came over and showed me how to open it. I was very impressed. I told him I was on my way to Allenberry but wanted to stop by on my way back. He gave me his card which read "Eli Lapp" with a small drawing of a map to his shop.

On the way back home I tried very hard to find his shop using the map but I wasn't able to do it. Disappointed,I went back to New York.

The following summer Lowell was again back at the Allenberry Playhouse, this time doing Gilbert and Sullivan. So I drove back out to see him. I had saved the map in my wallet, so on the way I tried again to find Mr. Lapp and his cedar chests. Following the map I turned down a side road and saw a humble sign that told me I had found it.

There was a house with a driveway next to it. I went down the driveway to the back where there was a barn with a horse and buggy. There were two little Amish kids sitting on the back porch. When they saw me they jumped up and ran inside. A few moments later here came Eli. I told him about stopping off at the yard sale the year before and about unsuccessfully trying to find his shop. I explained that I was on my way to Allenberry but would like to look at his chests. He opened the door to the barn and we went in to his workshop. The one chest that caught my eye had a sign on it that said "sold." I said it was the one I wanted. He said he had just made another one like it and went into the back to bring it out. I asked him the price. It was very reasonable. Remarkably so. I paid him and the two of us huffed and puffed to get it into the back seat of the Toyota I was driving. It almost didn't fit, but we got it in. He told me had taken doors off of cars to get them in. I said "Yes. I'll bet you have." One wouldn't want to leave one of those chests behind because it didn't fit in a car.

I had many years of pleasure owning that chest. That was decades ago. I don't know if he's still working. I hope so I don't remember the name of the town but if you find yourself in the Pennsylvania Amish area, (Paradise, Bird In Hand, Fertility, Gap), seek out Eli Lapp. You'll be glad you did.

DB
_____________
Lots of sunshine to you.
****************
Weekend Head Scratcher

Two of the items below do not belong on the list.

Which one's are they and why?

ALAND

ANDORRA

ESTONIA

FAROE ISLANDS

LIECHTENSTEIN

LUXEMBOURG

MONACO

REDONDA

SAN MARINO

SEALAND

SIKKIM

VATICAN

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
3 good answers so far.

Good luck.
DB

5 comments:

Ken Riches said...

We have an Amish area not far from here (about 45 minute drive) and enjoy going there every now and again. Glad you found the shop on the second try :o)

salemslot9 said...

Sasquatch?
I pray that your leg
feels better soon...

Linda S. Socha said...

Prayers for health care for YOU soon
Hugs
Linda

Rose~* said...

That chest must have been beautiful - I have heard that the Amish make wonderful things. I can imagine how you feel about the limping. Since I broke my foot a couple of years ago, it has been very frustrating to find shoes that fit properly. Today I ordered a new pair of walking shoes at Sears, and have to wait for them to arrive as they did not have the black ones in stock, only white - and who wants white shoes for the winter? Not me. So, if you see a Sasquatch in Vancouver, it will probably be me, lol.

Beth said...

There is a place nearby called Swartzendruber's that does some unbelievably beautiful woodwork. The craftsmanship is beyond belief!

I hope tomorrow is a better day, D. Hugs, Beth