Thursday, December 30, 2010

computer blog 12/30

One of the worst, most tragic and distressing parts of the three day nightmare I just went through is the fact that it robbed me of time and chance to do any serious thinking. why is my brain confused with a mze of useless, mundane material which I needed to know just to send a comment on someone's emai?

I was saying recently to someone, I think it was Sue, the computer companies are like the IRS. The IRS expects us to keep careful records of every penny we spend, save all receipts, carefully labeled and categorized, keep up to date books of assets and liabilities and to understand all the intricacies of the tax codes. To them,that is the most important thing. We can live our lives, go to work, cook, clean and raise our kids in our spare time.

Fortunately the various computer companies can't prosecute us, fine us and imprison us if we mess up, but no doubt that's coming some day. But they will expect us to know what they are talking about and sometimes be mercilessly condescending to us if we don't know.

You don't need to know all the intricacies of your furnace in order for it to heat your house. And if it stops working and you call the company, you won't get someone from some nameless country who tells you to twist this gismo and fiddle with that gadget.

With each passing year the systems get more complicated and hence more vulnerable and more out of reach of the basic user. I am more than frustrated. This recent nightmare has just about robbed me of my desire, my enthusiasm and my sense of humor.

DB

5 comments:

Big Mark 243 said...

I feel that way about technology in general, social media, specifically. Keep up the fight!!

Jon said...

You're handling the situation much better than I could. I would have probably demolished my computer with a sledge hammer and put a Hungarian curse on all the Bozos I had to deal with on the telephone!

I could be bitterly sarcastic and say that life in West Texas has robbed me of my desire, my enthusiasm, and my sense of humor!

Hang in there! I'm truly hoping that the very worst of your computer woes are over!

Ally Lifewithally said...

I do hope your Computer is now behaving itself ~ Mine has been playing me up just recently ~ I just wish I understood technology more than I do ~ Ally x

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Hang in there! I think we have all been at that point at one time or another. I loved it when my boys were home as they helped me to keep up with technology. Now it's long distance phone calls to them, but at least I can understand what they are saying most of the time. I hope this not so little glitch is smoothed out soon and you'll be enjoying it all again. Take care!

pacifica62 said...

I sense your anguish db and you have my sympathy. "More out of reach of the basic user". You hit the nail on the head with that description. I really do hope that you can regain control of your life and your computer along with its' contents.