Thursday, December 2, 2010

Get Moving

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

Will Rogers
(Thank you Bruce)
************************
Truly one of the great dangers of life is complacency.

"Well, now I've got everything just the way I want it. Now I can relax." Oh, yeah? What's that rumbling in the distance?

"I fixed those drain pipes last year, there won't be any more water on the back porch." (Rumble, rumble)

"I can handle these mortgage payments with my new job. No problem." (Rumble)

"My college education is all paid for." "I get all the news in the morning over breakfast. That's all I need." "My daughter's new boy friend is a great guy. I trust him." "Why bother with snow tires on the car. They say it's going to be a mild winter." "I've got a great health insurance plan if anything should happen." "My brother is a stock broker. He handles all my investments." "The case will never go to court." "Now that I'm retired I'm going to take it easy." (Rumble, rumble, rumble.) There's a locomotive heading down the track and you are right in the way.

Life is unfinished business. There is always something to do. The joy of life is to see what has to be done, do it and then say "what's next?" Take it from me, retirement is not the bucket of fluff some people think it is. The challenges don't end. The tears don't stop. The laughter goes on. And the joy of living lasts, as long as we don't sit calmly in our complacent rocking chair and wait for the end.

"Hey, you, on the right track. Get moving!"

DB - The Vagabond
************************
AUTUMN QUESTION

(This is not a contest.)

At what event of the past do you wish you could be present? Why?

Only 8 responses so far.

dbdacoba@aol.com

Thank you.
DB
************************

6 comments:

Big Mark 243 said...

Because of the way that I view the word 'patience', I have often told people for whom good fortune had came to them, that I have moved up in the line and my turn was nearer.

You can't just stand in the same spot without purpose. Finding where to go, what to do, and then doing what needs to be done is part of life constant changes. Even if one's goal is to remain stable, they still will find themselves moving forward as 'stability' is a constantly shifting ideal.

Sometimes, even in 'sitting', you need to have a purpose and a reason other than 'simply sitting there'. Whatever you are 'doing' qualifies as an action, whether it is the appropriate one or not is dependent on your goal.

At least that is what I think.

pacifica62 said...

Great post db and a valuable reminder to me about the dangers of complacency. I do get stuck in that rut sometimes, or should I say rocking chair. Still contemplating retirement next year and what that would mean to me. So no "bucket of fluff" waiting for me. Actually I view it as an exciting time in life that gives me the freedom to do what I want. However, lots of things to do or be done none of which include sitting on the railroad tracks waiting for that train to run over me.

Arlene (AJ) said...

A good read DB, but must say ever now and then I'd love a day that I had nothing to do. Well maybe I can dream that one day that will happen in this life.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Isn't that the truth. Retirement is definitely not all rest and relaxation. That is not to say that I'm not thoroughly enjoying it though. I do keep on my toes. There is never a complacent moment.

Rose~* said...

I'm already drawing up the "to do" list for hubby when it's his turn to retire. Lord knows, I wouldn't want him to think that I am going to do all the work at home, lol.

Ken Riches said...

There is always more to do and more to learn, boredom is not an option.