Sunday, January 23, 2011

How We Define Life

It is better to create than to learn. Creating is the essence of life.

Julius Caesar
***********************
I have a two disk recording of the Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin by Bach, played by Nathan Milstein. Other great violinists have played and recorded those pieces but Milstein's performances are my favorites simply because they were the first and thus he defined the music for me.

I look back over my career sometimes. The less I do that the better. But I wonder sometimes what to make of it. An actor's life is a very gossamer thing, particularly a stage actor's life. But I comfort myself by realizing that I have probably defined some great roles and helped define some great plays for people. Maybe I have defined the roles of Big Daddy, Sir Toby, Eddie Carbone, Zorba and John Procter to people, even if they see another production.

But beyond my own sphere of interest, impact is being made on the world at all times by the fact that creation is still going on. I know that my life has been affected by music, theatre, literature and works of art.. I think it is impossible to measure the depths to which some creations can affect the life of people. A lot of it is probably unconscious.

But consider this. None of us are disconnected from the world. Every picture you paint, every drawing, every photograph, every thing you make, everything you say and do becomes a permanent part of creation. It is an efficacious part of the world, of life. and by being in the world it has altered and defined life, and not just yours.

Civilization today is the summation of all the people who have lived. And that includes you and me. You may think your contributions are small, well, considering the vast number of people who have lived, all contributions are small, but they are all important. They are the essence of life.

DB - The Vagabond
*************************

Weekend Puzzle

Here are some famous trios. Who are they.

On your mark. Get set. Go!
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

T KTY, T NJQB TQE T ATQM JZ ATDK

NSJJE, UVBTR TQE RBTKU

IKJUNO, URDSSU TQE QTUA

ZTDRA, AJXB TQE IATKDRO

ZTRABK, UJQ TQE AJSO YAJUR

AJX, UMDX TQE HCFX

ACBO, EBVBO TQE SJCDB

SDZB, SDNBKRO TQE RAB XCKUCDR JZ ATXXDQBUU

XBRBK, XTCS TQE FTKO

KBTEDQY, VKDRDQY TQE TKDRAFTRDI

KBE, VADRB TQE NSCB

UQTX, IKTIMSB TQE XJX

RAB RAKBB URJJYBU

RDQMBK RJ BGBKU RJ IATQIB

RJF, EDIM TQE ATKKO
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Good luck.
------------------------
Here's a quick one, if you read this far.
Something happened on August 28, 888 that didn't happen again until February 2, 2000. What was it?
2 correct answers so far

******************************

2 comments:

pacifica62 said...

I do not create great paintings or music and have never acted on a stage, but I do create in different ways. I can create a warm, welcoming environment in my home, I can create a decent meal, I try to create good relationships with my friends and I probably could create a respectable note or letter. I just don't have the talent to do what some have done, but I do what I can do in the best way that I can do it. Simple as my creations might seem, I do believe that they add something to the world, or at least to a few people in it. Do we tend to think less of ourselves because we are not a Bach, Michelangelo or Einstein that will be immortalized forever? We could, but our contributions make a difference in the lives of the people around us. They might seem small, but as you said db, equally as important and surely the essence of life.

Beth said...

That's a nice way to look at it. We may not all be geniuses, but that doesn't mean that we don't contribute to the body of things created. Hugs, Beth