Saturday, October 27, 2012

Hello Sandy

If you don't have a sense of humor, you might as well pack it up.

Lori Hackman
*****************
Hello Barbara
*****************
According to the latest forecast the full force and nastiness of Savage Sandy is due to arrive at my door sometime Tuesday morning. So I, with many others. am sitting in the bulls eye of a hurricane. Am I ready? Who is ever ready for a hurricane?

There are a few things I would like to have, a battery operated radio, a battery operated lamp, some company for instance. But I have enough food and other creature comforts, so I'm theoretically prepared.

I think it's appropriate that they are calling this one a Frankenstorm since it's coming to us at Halloween, a massive scary gift from Mother Nature dressed in her wicked witch costume. Fortunately I live on the second floor, with windows on three sides and nowhere near the river, so I should have a good safe front row seat when Sandy does her dance.

The quote of the day (above) is from a woman who lives here in my town. I've never met he but the quote comes from a local newspaper of several years ago after another hurricane whose name a forget. Ms. Hackman's house is on the river and during that storm her first floor was flooded. She and her husband had a choice to either move to a different safer location or raise their house. They chose to spend the thousands to raise the house, jutting in a whole other floor under the one that was flooded. They did that because they love living next to the river. Now if the Delaware decides to throw buckets of water at their house this time it will flood the basement and not all the carpets and living room furniture.

When asked what they would do when another hurricane comes and floods the river she replied "If you don't have a sense of humor, you might as well pack it up." A woman after my own heart.

DB - Vagabond Journeys
Never give up.
***************************

2 comments:

Jon said...

I certainly hope you will stay safe as the fury of Frankenstorm descends upon you. It should be interesting to have a front row seat from your second story windows.
I have numerous relatives in New Jersey who got flooded during the last big storm (was it Irene?).
Anyway, take care - - and keep your sense of humor.

Rose said...

I'm praying for everyone in harms way of Hurricane Sandy.

Here in South Florida, fortunately we only received gusty winds and heavy rain.

Hugs, Rose