Sunday, March 31, 2013

Wake It Up

Art occurs at the point where a form is sincerely honored by awakened spirit.


Lawrence Durrell

***********************

Hello Bruce

***********************

In much of the world it's Easter Sunday,a day for bunnies, bonnets and resurrections. Outside my window Spring is trying to happen. And inside the juices are stirring in me, the budding signals that tell me I have work to do. The signals don't tell me what the work is, they merely tell me to get reedy because an order is coming from near or far, and it will start my engine. I had better be ready to get in and drive.



Why do painters clean their brushes, why do violinists tune their fiddles, why do dancers keep their legs limbered up, why do writers make notes? Because they don't want to be caught unprepared when the orders come.



One of the ways artists sometimes work is to make chaos and then make order out of it. It's a process of going from the unreal to the real. Out of the chaos will an order suggest itself? No, it will demand itself. And when it does the artist should embrace it as one who has rescued the artist from the darkness.



The form the work of art will take is then a present reality even though the work still has to be done. That's when the dialogue begins between the artist and his work, the great waking up process.



There is a lot of waking up and resurrecting going on this Easter season. As for me, I humbly await my order.

***********************************

Dana Bate

Vagabond Journeys

Never Give Up

*****************************

No comments: