Monday, April 13, 2009

Inevitable Illumination 4/13/09

All the flowers of all the tomorrows are in the seeds of today.

Indian proverb
****************
Overtures of friendship to you
----------------------------------
It is a remarkable but often frightening thing to realize that all thoughts, ideas and beliefs will blossom someday in one way or another depending on where they are planted and how they are tended. These mental seeds are all around, looking for a place to land and take root. What am I growing in my field, something useful like roses, tulips, corn, potatoes, or stink weed, skunk cabbage, deadly nightshade?

If I wake up one morning and look out the window at my life and see weeds I know I've let the wrong seeds into my head. I have some uprooting to do. I have some replanting. It's strange, because the seed I hold in my hand knows what it is going to become, even though I don't. So I have to be very careful. Is it a seed of hope, beauty, truth, happiness or one of fear, hate and ugliness?

I also have to be careful where I put the seed. I have to make sure I have the right mental condition, the right attitude, the right soil, to inspire its proper growth. The same idea in one mind can make a genius while in another might make a mad man. One soil grows an Einstein another grows a Frankenstein. It's not enough just to have a good idea, you have to know what to do with it.

Then there's the matter of cultivating, nourishing and protecting it while it grows. Patience is required. The butterfly can't leave his cocoon until he's fully grown. A grand idea needs its own fulfillment time. An artist or a scientist may give a large portion of his life to bring a grand idea to maturity.

In my neighborhood there are a lot of children. Some of them are quite small and I sometimes wonder what that little one is capable of. Will he grow up to be a master musician? Will she become an astronaut and step on another planet one day? It's amazing to think that whatever they can do or become is already inside them waiting to be nourished, cultivated and illuminated. It's so vitally important to make sure that the thoughts they are encouraged to hold in their hands and plant in their lives are good ones.

And that is equally important for all of us, no matter how young we are.

What's in your garden?
-----------------------------
DB - Vagabond Journeys
________________________________
May there be nice newness in your life today.
************************************

7 comments:

Middle Ditch said...

Loads and loads of weeds. Garden keeps beckoning, so I should go.

This was a very inspirational read.

Happy Being Me said...

Great reads! Thank you for your visits and for sharing such a thought provoking entry. Take care,
Katie

Beth said...

Another great analogy. If I many continue it, I've known a few in my life that use way too much fertilizer! ;)

Hugs, Beth

Trees said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trees said...

Sorry for deleting my first comment,it had so many spelling mistakes. Have not been blogging for a bit, but I always love coming to visit you, DB. The question what is in my garden? My plants are just coming through the soil, and there are many varied ones, but each one is so very precious to me and each one has its own blend of beauty and most have grown from seeds. I have learned over the years that you can have a field full of weeds and depending on who looks at it, it can be just a field of weeds or if you take the time and see the blossoms on the weeds and look at it differently you can see a thing of beauty. So goes for the seeds we sow in our minds, as you say one seed could be an einstein and the other a frankenstein. In my garden, I have learned that even the most awful weed when it blooms has its very own beauty, just as many who have not got good seeds within them if one takes time, maybe the good seed can emerge with a little help. Thank you for this very thought provoking question, it has helped me immeasurably in trying to deal with a very serious problem I have here at home. I think through your entry I have formed a plan to deal with it. Again thank you for your wonderful entries.

Linda's World said...

GREAT entry DB ! Even the seeds of the most beautiful flowers won't grow in bad soil, so we also have to take care of our selves...so the seeds can grow & mature. Hope you had a good weekend..Linda in WA

Big Mark 243 said...

This was a good and thoughtful read. I like the way you put thoughts in this particular perspective.