Sunday, January 11, 2009

Basic Beneficence 1/11/09

We need to learn to set our course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.

Omar Bradley
**********************
Hello my invisible friends.


Oh how I solemnly wish I could sit down and write a letter to Leonardo Da Vinci, Johann Sebastian Bach, the anonymous, enlightened writers of scripture, Shakespeare, Plato and all the other people who have given me so much beauty, wisdom, wit and instruction for life.

I'm sure many of them were not fully appreciated during their fleshly lives, but I wish they knew how much alive they are today.

A former girl friend used to refer to me as "a classic." I was never sure what she meant by that. Was I an old car, a leather bound novel or a great film perhaps?


I guess there are some "classics" in the world today, living and breathing and being underestimated. But when I was a youngster I first became fascinated with classical music and consumed as much of it as I could get my grips on, in my impetuous youthful manner. I didn't know why and probably still can't tell you why it was so important to me at the time. Now I know.
Music led me into literature and that led me into art. When I finally pecked my way out of my egg shell of adolescence I became an actor and I carried all of that music with me.

I can enjoy the latest film, folk singer, novel and TV show. But I always look for the roots. Does what I'm seeing and hearing come out of the solid, nutritious ground of importance? Does it connect? Is it another link in the history of love, the love that inspires greatness. Or is it a passing ship?

A lot of ships have passed my way. The stars of my life are still shining.


Now you have a pleasant Sunday, you hear me?

DB - The Vagabond

10 comments:

betty said...

I liked your last line; the stars of my life are still shining; you keep shining too DB!!!

you have a good Sunday too :)

betty

Ken Riches said...

I think of you as a classic novel, full of information, and different each time you open the cover :o)

Joann said...

You're a classic at heart... you just seem to have so much to give, and you are sharing it with all of us!

Jeannette said...

Congratulations on winning Val's Sentence Of the Week. Well done.

betty said...

see, DB, you are still shining! great sentence over at Val's! congratulations on the win!! you must have taken quite a few cabs in your day :)

betty

Linda's World said...

Yes, DB congrats on winning the Sentence of the week. You're a classic! Linda in dreary Washington

Leigh/BlueDragonfly said...

I hope your Sunday was pleasant!

:) Leigh

Beth said...

"Now you have a pleasant Sunday, you hear me?"

Aye aye, Cap'n!

It's amazing to me that so many artists that are revered today were considered hacks and wanna-bes during their own time. Gives us all hope! ;)

Hugs, Beth

Elisabeth said...

Music led me to singing and acting, painting and now writing and photography. I wish I could sit down with Vermeer, Rembrandt, Durer, Aristotle, Plato and many others. Hopefully you will be learning and sharing for many years to come. From one old classic to another...thank you!

Breezy said...

Wow I sure do like that quote.

I think a lot of people are underestimated, or don't get recognition for whatever reason. So many things get noticed many years later and people get credit, and praises for things after they have died. Just like each of us the many artists out there don't will never know the impression they have made on many peoples lives.