Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Walking In The Light

I speak the truth, not as much as I would, but as much as I dare, and I dare a little more as I grow older.

Catherine Bowen
*********************
"I know everything about art, but I don't know what I like." James Thurber paraphrased the old saying. I astonish myself when I think back upon how many years I spent trudging through mental thorn bushes thinking I was in the clear light and proudly, smugly telling everyone what was true but never being forced to explain it.

Growing up is a process of throwing out all the old evidence and seeing more clearly the difference between the shadows and the light. It's a long, slow, difficult process and requires courage, commitment and humility.

But there is a comforting and encouraging part to it. As your little patch of wisdom grows you begin to realize that there were certain things you knew way back at the beginning that were true and still are. Perhaps you couldn't explain them, perhaps they were only the result of intuition or conviction mixed in with doubt and confusion. How carefully we trod on those stepping stones across the flowing ignorance. When we gathered more stones we made a foot bridge and then eventually built a roadway across the mist to reach some solid rational conclusions.

There comes a time when we are given permission and the daring to speak the truth because we know why it is. But then a danger arises. We find that people don't want to hear the truth. They will turn away, set up barriers and some will even try to prevent us from speaking. .

The light is on or the light is off. No one can tell you you are just imagining things if you see the light. Walk in the light if you see it and pay no attention to those who walk in the dark.

I speak the truth.
---------------------------
Never give up.
DB - The Vagabond
*************************

SUMMER QUESTION

It's a long, hot, sticky summer, so here's a hot, sticky question for you. Don't let the recent New York State decision rob you of your thunder.

Same sex marriage. Should it be legal or not? If so, why? If not, why not?

dbdacoba@aol.com

7 answers so far.

You have until the last day of summer, but don't dally.
I eagerly await your answer.

DB
************************

3 comments:

Patricia said...

I love this. thank you.

Big Mark 243 said...

Being right is it own explanation. I think being smug about being right is where a lot of people get twisted.

Still a lot of great advice. Throwing out the old evidence so that you can see things more clearly is very important and I think you nailed all the qualities need to do so.

Wise, wise words.

Inday said...

Truth is the fiercest enemy of Lies. I don't know why there is always that anode at the other end of the cathode. If you stand by it, you gather foes instead of friends.