Sunday, July 17, 2011

Never Give Up

If you think somebody cares about you and believes your life is worth saving, how can you give up?

Geraldine Ferraro
************************
One of the characteristics I sometimes observe about myself is that, generally speaking, I like people better than they like me. I don't know why that is but it probably has something to do with my sense of humor. I guess I'm prone to making light of things which others hold to be sacred or serious. That comes from an opinion that no matter how serious things are, and some things are very serious, there is nothing in life that doesn't deserve to be laughed at.

Even so that doesn't mean I don/t care about people. I suppose I wouldn't be writing this journal every day if I didn't. That means I care about people I don't even know. It's because I want people's lives to be better, happier and more successful. In spite of varying degress of self assurance we tread around this spinning globe with uncertainty and confusion, learning about life every day, discovering things we didn't think were there and rediscovering things we had forgotten about, such as ourselves.

I remember many years ago being stopped on the street one day by a radio news reporter who asked me for my opinion about a certain trial that was taking place at the time. The defendant was in danger of the death penalty if convicted. I wasn't following the trial and told him so but I went on to say I wasn't in favor of the death penalty because I believed that everyone was basically redeemable. I have performed in prisons and half way houses, met convicted criminals and seen men turning their lives around. Don't give up on people. All roads go somewhere.

I've known a bunch of nasty people in my life, both in show business and out, one of them lives not far from here. The fact is that some of those people perform tasks that are very helpful to the world. As much as we would like to believe it good skill and good personality are not necessarily compatible.

It's difficult to care about someone with a rotten personality, but life is sacred thing and a person who can redeem himself deserves to live. He deserves to not give up and he deserves to not be given up on.

It is easy for me to think, in my solitary struggles, that no one cares about me. But through my journal I care about people I don't even know. So if you think no one cares about you, know that people you don't even know care. And that's a good reason for not giving up. Something you do today may have an important result tomorrow in this confusing and uncertain world.

Never give up.
DB - The Vagabond
**********************

WEEKEND CONTEST

Well, last weekend several of you had some fun substituting a different word for "noodles" in "Love with noodles is batter." So here's a variation. Take a song and change one of the important words. Such as:

Somewhere over the ________.
Or:
I can't give you anything but ______, baby.
Etc.

Enter as often as you like, the decision of the mentally stalled judge is final.

Only 1 entry so far.

Good luck
DB
*********************

SUMMER QUESTION

It's a long, hot, sticky summer, so here's a hot, sticky question for you. Don't let the recent New York State decision rob you of your thunder.

Same sex marriage. Should it be legal or not? If so, why? If not, why not?

dbdacoba@aol.com

10 answers so far.

You have until the last day of summer, but don't dally.
I eagerly await your answer.

DB
************************

4 comments:

Linda's World said...

Good entry. I think everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect no matter what. I think the jails and prisons would be empty if everyone felt the same.
Sunday morning weather~61* with showers.

Arlene (AJ) said...

Another great read DB, always know that we who read your site, hold you in a special place in our heart always....we may not have ever met, but you're definitely one of my dear friends.

Rose~* said...

I never give up visiting your journal through life, with it's many twists and turns. Life is precious, and I believe that we are all capable of many great things. Your friendship is always appreciated over here! (((HUGS)))

Ken Riches said...

I have few real friends, it takes a person who can handle sarcasm and directness. But I also find that people remember me.