Monday, July 25, 2011

Being Beautiful

Consider the lilies of the field, they grow where they are put.

Osgood Chambers
***************************
On September 9 I will have lived in this town for 11 years. Within 6 months after I moved here I started saying I was going to leave. I didn't know where I was going but it was necessary to go somewhere else, where there was more life, more activity of a cultural and intellectual nature. I still say that, more or less.

So, DB, what have you been doing with yourself for the past 11 years in this boring town where nothing ever happens?

Well, let's see. I joined the Artists of Bristol, finished 4 paintings, had works hung in three exhibits and sent one painting off to a museum in Italy. I have 4 more pieces unfinished and being worked on.

I've written two novels and a flock of short stories. I have three other long stories, unfinished and being worked on. I have written well over a thousand entries in Vagabond Journeys. I have almost three hundred pithy aphorisms in Vagabond Jottings. And I've published three articles in a local paper.

I have two wonderful local friends and a large handful of other friends on the Internet with whom I communicate regularly.

When I was a young man (oh yes I was) I was very busy doing a lot of activities, but I wonder if I ever really accomplished anything outside of my performing arts career. It seems I've been busier and more productive stuck in this quiet town where nothing happens than all my years in New York City.

If I sound like I'm bragging, I am. But the braggadocio has more to do with the realization of the truth of what Osgood has to say. It doesn't matter where we are or what we have. It's what we do with it that counts. Every moment of life is a chance to grow, to grow up, but also to grow out, to grow around, to spread, to blossom like lilies and be beautiful.
---------------------------------
Never give up.
DB - The Vagabond
*************************
SUMMER QUESTION

It's a long, hot, sticky summer, so here's a hot, sticky question for you. Don't let the recent New York State decision rob you of your thunder.

Same sex marriage. Should it be legal or not? If so, why? If not, why not?

dbdacoba@aol.com

12 answers so far.

You have until the last day of summer, but don't dally.
I eagerly await your answer.

DB
************************

4 comments:

Linda S. Socha said...

Lovely post and thoughtful reflections.....I love what you have accomplished....while thinking about moving:>)
LInda

Arlene (AJ) said...

Such a touching read, you've accomplished a lot DB and have touched many lifes. Proud to call you a friend dear.

pacifica62 said...

There is a saying "Bloom where you are planted" and seems you have done exactly that without perhaps realizing it. I like the fact that you have put your thoughts and energies into doing whatever you felt like doing. I moved into this apartment and vowed I would not unpack cause I was going to move to something better. That was over 11 years ago and I am still here. I have learned to adapt and spend my time doing things other than dwelling on thoughts of moving on. Might even say I have been happy here as you are happy in Bristol. Life can work out in strange ways.

Ken Riches said...

Bravo!