Monday, August 29, 2011

The Night Irene Came To Town

Did Irene huff and puff and blow my house down? Did the river overflow it's banks and flood my basement? Did the torrential rain soak me to the bone? Did the street outside become knee deep in water? Did the branches crash through my window? Was I carried out to sea by the surge? Did the 100 mph wind blow me 20 miles from my house? Am I sick, homeless, hungry, destitute, without food, without water, without clothes, with no place to go?

No. None of the above.

Did I lose power? Yes. But not for long. Late last night I was searching for some news about the local conditions. I knew the hurricane was out there, the wind and rain was proof of that. But I couldn't find any news of New Jersey or Pennsylvania. All the news channels were telling me what happened in North Carolina and Virginia or what was going to happen in New York. I couldn't find out what was going to happen or what was happening to me. So I did the next best thing. I went to bed.

I fell asleep at about 2:30 with apocalyptic rain smashing against my windows. When I woke at about 7 the power was out. I made a cup of coffee from the hot water tap (I've done that before), lit a candle, checked to see that the bird feeder was still there and settled down to a dark, cold and quiet day.

I was expecting that the power would be out for several days but amazingly the power company had it back on by 3 pm. So here I sit, typing away, with no scars as a result of the worst East Coast hurricane in years. I'm one of the lucky ones.

I can read about the devastations some people have suffered and are still suffering from: wind, water, submerged cars, collapsing trees and buildings, injuries and deaths. I have friends in New Jersey, New York and New England I haven't heard from. I have people to check on, people to love.

DB - The Vagabond
Never give up.
*************************
SUMMER QUESTION

Summer is moving along, people.

It's a long, hot, sticky summer, so here's a hot, sticky question for you.

Same sex marriage. Should it be legal or not? If so, why? If not, why not?

dbdacoba@aol.com

19 answers so far.

You have until the last day of summer, but don't dally.
I eagerly await your answer.

DB
************************

7 comments:

Geo. said...

RE: "I fell asleep at about 2:30 with apocalyptic rain smashing against my windows. When I woke at about 7 the power was out."

I don't know who this Irene was but if I were you I wouldn't invite her over again. Glad you're safe.

pacifica62 said...

Good news about your survival db. Not everyone got off that easily, and some nice angel must have been watching over you. Glad that you shared your experience with us.

Rose said...

You were in my thoughts and prayers during the hurricane.

Glad you are safe and unharmed.

Hugs, Rose

mrs.missalaineus said...

glad you checked in and all is well.

xxalainaxx

Arlene (AJ) said...

Good hearing from you DB and knowing your are okay dear.

Ken Riches said...

You survived Irene, perhaps a tattoo :o)

Beth said...

I was checking often and was happy to see that you had posted something. I knew you were okay.

As far as I can tell, my east coast friends weathered things well. I was very worried about you all! {{hugs}}