Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Try For The Top

Why not go to the higher point of excellence?

Gabrielle Reece
*****************
Hello Val
*****************
One of the rules I made for myself as a performing artist is no matter how good it was last night, it can always be better. One of the best studio directors I ever worked for would always consult me after a session to hear what I thought of it. That was a rare occurrence. Most directors just put you in the studio and send orders in through the speaker, "faster, slower, lighter, friendlier" etc. You aren't a human being, you're "talent." But the director I mentioned actually wanted to know my opinion of what I had done. If I genuinely be lived so I would say "It can always be better." Then he would usually say "OK. Give me three more," which I gladly did because it might be better.

Here's my simple formula for excellence:
Try for good and you'll be alright.
Try for very good and you'll be good.
Try for excellent and you'll be very good.
Try for perfect and you'll be excellent.

Indeed, why not try for the high point of excellence. It is a possibility no matter who you are and no matter what you do. Not only is excellent a grand way to turn in any job or perform any activity, it also does wonders for one's self esteem.

"The absolute is available to everyone, in every age."
(Annie Dillard)

DB - Vagabond Journeys
Never give up.
**************************

3 comments:

Geo. said...

I like your formula. It allows for the kind of understatement I'd use after 30 years as a gardener when people asked how the job was going:"I'm getting the hang of it."

Arlene (AJ) said...

Another great thought thinking read DB....agree that one should reach for excellence beats sitting back and failing or not having an interest in life.

Patricia said...

:)