Monday, May 7, 2012

Sing A New Song

I have sung my swan song so many times I no longer believe it.

Dana Bate
*****************
Hello Lily
******************
"Swan song" is a metaphorical phrase for a final gesture, effort, or performance given just before death or retirement. (Wikipedia)

I've made those sweeping dramatic gestures in the past of endings, last acts, final curtains, finishes, Usually it was done out of a feeling of disgust or dissatisfaction with what I was doing. Sometimes it was an emotional reaction, sometimes it was just the end of a contract, once or twice it was a matter of drop everything and run. Those were the necessary terminations.

Now in my golden years I don't want to think about endings. Things are never over in my mind. Everything in my life has a future to it, especially myself. Now I am more than considering, I'm planning to return to New York City where I belong. What for?

When I was a teenager I discovered I had talent as an actor. I took that talent and increased my skills to include being a broadcaster. Along the way I studied art and became a painter. There is more to learn about all of those skills. After I retired (another swan song) I became a writer, having nothing else to do.

Now, with an accumulation of creative skills, I'm living in a place where I can't use them. So the only sane and sensible thing to do is to go where I can. There are ideas in the fire to get me there. But I always have an open invitation for anyone who can help me do it.

I have things to do. I have made many investments in my future. I need to get there to collect.

DB - The Vagabond
Never Give Up
********************

4 comments:

pacific62 said...

Good Luck db and I hope you will get back to NYC. Sorry but I can offer you no help of any kind. I do not know people over there and financially I have enough worries keeping myself going and really could not offer you any assistance money wise. Sorry, I just simply cannot help you out.

Arlene (AJ) said...

Go for it DB, reach for your tomorrows in a positive manner and you'll find what will bring peace and joy to your hearet.

mrs.missalaineus said...

i can only offer my emotional support as you ready yourself for what is to come.

good luck- you can't keep a good man down!


xxalainaxx

Ken Riches said...

One step at a time.