Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Sky's The Limit

Ambition is putting a ladder against the sky.

American proverb
***********************
Hello Jen
**********************
Anyone who has ever witnessed the space shuttle taking off for the International Space Station has seen a ladder placed against the sky. In fact the space station itself is such a ladder. They both represent the goal achieved of going beyond the obvious limits, in effect, of doing the impssible.

But there are many different kinds of ladders and many forms of sky. Any enterprise which seems beyond the capabilities of the entrepreneur probably requires a lift off of some kind, and gentle or vigorous the way up is a step by step process. Even the space shuttle could not make it without some boosting along the way, so that when it finally arrives at the space station it is carrying a lot less hardware than it started out with, and that is something to ponder.

Here I am planning to move back to New York City. I walk on crutches, I have poor eyesight, I have no health insurance and not enough money to live there with New York's outlandish rents, and I don't even know how I'm going to get there. What a thoroughly impractical, hair brained, pie in the sky idea. Ah, but if I don't put up some sort of ladder and climb it I'll never get the pie.

For the astronauts getting to the space station was not the goal but all the interesting and important things that they went there to do. And so it is with me. Why New York? Why not Hackensack, or Houston or Honolulu? Because New York was my home for most of my life and I know it is filled to overflowing with the interesting and important things that I can do there. So I have my ladder set up and my foot is on the first rung.

Where's your ladder? Where's your sky?

DB - The Vagabond
Never Give Up
*****************************

2 comments:

Rubye Jack said...

What's that quote by Goethe about when we first begin to imagine something the universe goes to work on it? And, it happens when we're committed. Something along those lines anyway. New York used to have some really good programs. Hopefully, they still do. Good luck!

Ken Riches said...

The Big Apple...