Friday, September 30, 2011

Doing Things

Not what I have but what I do is my kingdom.

Thomas Carlyle
*******************
Hello Teresa
*********************
I know guys who will buy a house and keep fussing with it and the grounds around it trying to get it just they way they want it, so they can sit back, relax and enjoy it. Somehow they seem to never finish. It's surely a matter of pride and contentment to have a nice house and garden, even though it always needs some fussing. That's part of the joy of owning it, I suppose.

I suppose, I say, because I've never owned a home of my own. On the contrary I live in what the contented house owner would probably call chaos. I also have a lot of fussing to do but it's of a different ilk. My time and energy is taken up making things, words on a page, paint on a canvas and wondering what to do with that pile of cardboard boxes I have piled up in the other room.

Normal behavior says I should be keeping my apartment spotless, ship shape, spick and span. But normal I'm not, and I will ignore the dirty dishes in the sink if I have an idea for a story. My apartment is my studio and my work place. My dinner table is also my writing table.

Now don't misunderstand me. If you are the type who insists on total clean with everything in it's place I think that's great. If I could afford the maid, secretary, butler, cook and chauffeur I deserve, they would probably have me straightened out in no time. But for now I have to contend with things on my own, and the things I choose to contend with are the ideas flashing around in my nicotine/caffeine stuffed brain, the tasty dreams that keep me awake, the silent sea creatures and screech owls of my imagination.

You can keep your mahogany den, your mosaic tiled bathroom, your rose garden and your two car garage. Joy to you. I am happy in my kingdom.

DB - The Vagabond
Never Give Up
***********************

AUTUMN QUESTION

What event over the past year changed your life, a lot or a little?

3 answers so far.

dbdacoba@aol.com

I await your answers.
DB
********************

3 comments:

Arlene (AJ) said...

When I go to visit friends or family, I go to see them, not them house or housekeeping ways...a house is just a house it's the people inside who bring joy and happiness to my life. It's a standard joke with all my friends who know me as I've always said if you don't think my place is clean enough when you visit, help yourself to the vacuum cleaner or dust cloth, but keep in mind that I'll probably not invite you back for another get-together.

pacifica62 said...

I will confess that my domestic standards have slipped somewhat in the past few years. I figure if the health inspector doesn't condemn it, then I am fine. I have better things to do and houeswork is not one of them unless absolutely necessary. If you had all the staff you feel that you are entitled to, your house would be a palace, but what good is that. Would not make you any happier. Your friends will enjoy and cherish your company, they should not be rating your housekeeping skills. I would be happy to visit you, pull up a stump, clean off the clutter, have a beer and be oblivious to all the rest. You could do the same at my house.

Ken Riches said...

One of my outlets is tinkering, which I will do this afternoon after the final mowing of the year.