Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Happy Trails

If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves.

Thomas Edison
********************
Hello Jon
********************
I am what's known, or what should be known, as a "raw actor."

I think it's a grand thing for people to have a comfortable life style, to live in a nice home, to have friends they can relate to, to be in a community that suits them, to have the books and music they love and their favorite TV programs. It's a good thing to live a comfortable life and not feel confined or deprived.

Ascribe it to the cat like curiosity I was born with, the plunge into poverty in my childhood, my vagabond life, a certain brand of claustrophobia, a sense of adventure or the necessity of doing things I was unqualified to do in order to make a living. All of those must bear some responsibility for shaping me.

That we are all capable of more than we do is a truism. No one who is even mildly aware of themselves would deny it. During my life, whenever I have had the opportunity to pass that wisdom along to others, and in some cases to be specific about it, I've taken it, especially to a youngster in Junior High School.

I have a catalogue of things I've done that I was told I couldn't do. During my brief appearance in the hallowed halls of college, I walked into the theatre department, took an audition and got cast in the major role, which may have annoyed some drama students, I don't know. I went on the win Best Actor of the Year Award and Best Freshman Actor of the Year Award in the same year.

I never learned to sing or dance but I performed in musical comedy and did both. I never took a piano lesson yet I walked into a modern dance class and accompanied the dancers and even wrote music for them. I taught myself to play the drums and became a jazz drummer.

I walked into the Art Students League in New York and learned how to draw the human figure. I never took a painting class but now I'm a painter. I flunked my Freshman Philosophy class because it was boring. Now I'm fascinated with the subject. I flunked my Freshman English class because it was even more boring and now I write every day. So I left college without a degree and went on to teach peopled who were getting one.

One day I performed in a play for a Junior High School in a mid Atlantic State. I had also composed a musical score for the play. After the performance, during questions, it was asked what the music meant. Various opinions were given. As we were packing up to leave a boy come over to the stage and said what he thought the music meant and his answer was just about perfect. But then he said he was probably wrong because he was told there were certain things he was incapable of understanding. I asked him who told him that. He said it was the school. I jumped off the stage and went over to him. I said "Never again let anyone tell you you can't understand something. You are right about the music. Don't doubt yourself."

I followed complicated mountain trails to find out where they went. I follow the complex thinking of a philosopher to find out where it leads him. If I could ever afford a key board I would compose more music. I haven't astounded myself yet, but maybe I will some day. Who knows?

I never took any formal training as an actor, but I spent my working life as an actor. Raw talent, desire, a sense of adventure, or standing on the edge of a cliff and wondering what it would be like to fly?

Dana Bate - Vagabond Journeys
Never Give Up
*******************************
This invitation is still open for anyone and everyone to post an entry of their own on my journal, Vagabond Journeys http://vagabondjourneys.blogspot.com/.

The new year is upon us and since it is a time for celebrations, remembrances, resolutions and plans for the future I think people have things to say.

Not to take away from the postings on your own journals, but to add to the joy of my own is why I invite you to write for me.

I want to read what your thoughts are about this magical time of the year. This invitation is open to everyone: Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans, Agnostics, Atheists and the Uncertain.

Tell me your thoughts on any subject you wish.

There are no limits in regard to length. The only limitation is that, for reasons so far unexplained to me, my blog does not take photographs, animations, videos or pictures of any kind. I deal in words.

Please accept my invitation. Send your entry to my email address dbdacoba@aol.com I will copy and paste it into my journal and it will be displayed promptly. You may sign your name or not as you wish, and you may leave a link to your blog or your email or not, as you wish. I will do NO editing or censoring. Eloquence is not necessary, mind or heart or both is all.

I have 12 Guest Authors so far. Check them out.
All are welcome. Admission is free.

DB - The Vagabond
***************************

2 comments:

Jon said...

Ironically, while I was writing this comment I lost my Internet connection and couldn't get back on for over an hour. So, I'm trying again.......

True talent comes from within. You either have it or you don't, and you obviously have it. Talent can't be aquired or purchased and - thank God - it can't be taken away. Other people's opinions have little value, since they are so often wrong or biased.

Many of the world's greatest writers, musicians,& actors had very little (if any)formal training.
I was largely self-taught. I learned through every possible conventional & unconventional channel and absorbed like a sponge. The only reason I went to college was because it gave me unlimited opportunities to perform. It also fostered many incredible friendships.

I hope this makes some sense. I'm rambling as usual.

Ken Riches said...

Inspiration can help us achieve things we never thought of :o)