Saturday, June 23, 2012

Love and Contest

Check out the contest after the journal entry.
---------------------------------------------------

Though lovers be lost love shall not.

Dylan Thomas
******************
Hello Ken
******************
At one time I wrote "I have loved and lost, but I will live to love again." At the time I wrote that it didn't seem possible. But as certain as Spring someone came along and grabbed my heart. Since then I've been wary of proclaiming to myself any tautologies of my, or anyone else's, susceptibility to the untreatable madness we call "love."

Most of my history of love affairs has been about loss. It's a sad and heart breaking thing, but as my friend Skip says "It sure gets your emotions flexed." and is that a bad thing after all?

When we lose the perfect soul mate, the perfect life partner, the perfect man or woman, the one to make our lives complete, we are sure another such a one will never come along again. Until the next time. What I have discovered in my rough and tumble romantic history is that, just as Thomas says, the propensity, the desire, the affection, the need, the self sacrifice, the idolatry are never lost. They abide in us, silently and patiently, waiting for the door to open to express themselves in whatever way our imagination and circumstances provide.

Strange things happen. You may meet someone you find not attractive, not your "type," only to find yourself in love with that person six months later. It happened a year later for me. She was sitting next to me at a party. I thought she was interesting but not my type. A year later at another party she was again sitting next to me and I saw a different quality to her. We had lunch. Then she invited me over for dinner. I stayed. That was a six year relationship which ended only when she met another guy more to her liking. C'est l'amour.

Sometimes it's not another person but a group of people, a family, an organization, a cause, a job, all of which can be lost, and the pain may be awful, but it just proves that the love still exists in the heart and it needs to find another way to manifest itself.

Love comes because it's always there. You don't need to wear your heart on your sleeve (or leave it outside on a plate, as I am guilty of doing sometimes). I think the answer is to appreciate that the sensitivity, the affection, the passion and the adventure are all a permanent part of your being and, yes, love yourself for them and be ready to share them when the arrow flies. To be in love, to be ready to love, to be eager for love, one is never more alive.

Dana Bate - Vagabond Journeys
Never Give Up
***************************
CONTEST Here's a contest for you. How hot is it? When I first ran this contest the winner was a school teacher who wrote: "It's so hot my hot flashes cool me off." Now it's your turn. How hot is it? It's so hot my toaster pops up before I push it down. (DB) Its so hot we are using our dog's panting as an extra fan (SH) it's so hot that sweat runs uphill. (BK) It's so hot....the microwave popcorn packets are popping in the cupboard (LS) It's so hot I saw two trees fighting over a dog. It's so hot here in Texas that people have been deliberately committing crimes so they can go to hell and cool off. (JV)

It's so hot.... Good luck, prizes will be awarded, the decision of the certifiably mad judge is final. DB ************************

2 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Hello Dana.

Love is a many splendid thing...

Arlene (AJ) said...

Love has it's ups and downs, that's part of life, so enjoy it for every moment that you have it. But, never give up, keep reaching for it. Beats not having it in your life.