Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Champion Cuisine 4/07/09

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor.

Truman Capote
***************
Yo.
-------------------
Although it has its uses, "failure" is a nasty tasting dish. And if you make the mistake of mixing it with "I give up" then you have something which is really foul. It's good for nothing but to be flushed.

Ah but wait! Take the "failure" and put it in a bowl along with a stick of "lesson learned" (melted) and a packet of "I'll try again." Mix that up. Then check the spice rack for a container marked "I deserve success." Throw some of that in the bowl, stir and taste. Still not right? Okay, look on the shelf in the back of the fridge for a jar labeled "I can do it." Spoon some of that into the bowl and mix it up. Now you have a zesty Tartar Sauce, or what Edward, my teacher used to call "Ta Ta Sauce."

Dab a couple of generous helpings of that on your red snapper of success and say "Ta Ta" to the failure.

When I started to learn art I went to a life drawing class every Saturday morning. In my first class the model was a very large retired fellow. There was so much to him I thought it was like drawing a mountain. It was a ten minute pose. I drew a picture a little bit larger than my thumb. The instructor came by, looked at it and said nothing except "Carry on."

I was at the point where the nasty peck of "failure" was saying "You can't do this. Give it up." But I didn't give it up. I signed up for even more classes and kept drawing until I could do it. Eventually I learned something about painting. I won a few awards in exhibits and sold a few things.

I kept that first drawing around for a long time, not just to humble myself when I needed to, but also to show me how far I had come.

Failure happens. But all one needs is the right recipe to turn it into the right sauce.

DB - The Vagabond
_________________
May you see "crowds of daffodils."
******************************

5 comments:

Myra said...

Clever use of words to convey the message! Kudos to you for not giving up when it got difficult. Art is subjective, and since you've exhibited and sold pieces, someone out there likes your talent. I love the "crowds of daffodils"!

Big Mark 243 said...

Good entry!!

Beth said...

I like it! I also like it that your instructor simply said "Carry on." THAT is a good teacher.

You said, "Yo." [giggle]

Hugs, Beth

Ally Lifewithally said...

I loved reading this entry ~ words of wisdom :o) ~ Ally x

Ken Riches said...

Being persistent in something you love doing can make your soul sing :o)