Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Friend

Never let the threat of being misunderstood curtail your expression.

Marty Brandel
(Thank you Marty)
*********************
Marty is a friend of mine. I'm a friend of his. We're friends. I don't remember when we first met, (we've been friends for a few thousand years) but I remember where. It was at a job and somehow our antennas connected from across the room. There was no formal introduction. We just eased into conversation. Both of us being basic New Yorkers we already knew each other: concrete brains, asphalt nerves. We sit around watching movies on TV, drinking beer, telling jokes and stories. We're just a couple of guys, you see.

Marty just got out of the hospital. Surgery. He's recovering just fine because he's tough. He is also an intelligent, sensitive, creative man. He makes music.

We have both helped each other face down some terrible times, put up with some difficult people and enjoyed each other's successes. We are friends for no particular reason other than that we are both good guys in a world of jerks. Or maybe there are things about each of us that the other one admires. Or maybe it's because we share the silent truth that life is what it is, can always be better, but needs to be handled with a sense of humor.
.
As the years have accumulated I have a few good friends left whom I cherish deeply.
Marty is one of those. He's probably reading this right now and he's embarrassed. Or maybe he's not. Marty is a simple man who's very complex. He's a complex man who's very simple.

I think if Marty and I met trying to cross a river on a narrow bridge, like Robin Hood and Little John, we would both jump in the water and have a good laugh.

I love you Marty.

DB
***********************
I'm still looking for someone to show me how to rearrange the titles on my web page, The titles under "My Blogs" are in the wrong order. Help.
******************************
WINTER QUESTION
(This is not a contest.)

Given the resources and opportunity, what one thing do you want to do in 2010 that you've never done before.

You have all Winter to answer. Answers will be posted on the first day of Spring.
20 responses so far.

DB - The Vagabond

5 comments:

pacifica62 said...

You are very rich indeed to have such a friendship in your life. It makes me smile just reading about it. Enjoy each other.

Big Mark 243 said...

I like Marty's quote. Here is to your good friend's health.

Arlene (AJ) said...

There is nothing more special than a friend who in your heart is truly your special brother or in my case my special Sis. You're blessed to have each other in your lives. Glad your friend Mary is doing well after his surgery.

Rose said...

I'm so happy you have a wonderful friendship with Marty. Having a good friend is a gift. I wish Marty a speedy recovery from his surgery.

Hugs, Rose

Ken Riches said...

A shout out to Marty :o)