Sunday, June 6, 2010

Another Day

Leave something good in every day.

Dolly Parton
*******************
Let me tell you this retirement bit is no stroll in the park. I don't have enough time in the day to do all the things I need and want to do. I try to read the huge mountain of books that interest me. I try to paint pictures that will please and intrigue people. I try to share ideas, adventures, stories and humor with the few folks who read my journal (only 7 today), and while doing all of that I try to take care of myself as best I can.

It has been nasty hot here for several days. They keep saying "rain" but they lie. To spend a day outside makes for a very smelly shirt. Now I don't care if I wear one around here, I'm the only one here to smell me. But it might just be that I will have to go out into the general public one of these days and since I didn't have a clean shirt to wear I hauled them all down to the laundry machine and washed them. When the machine was done doing its mysterious cycles, I hauled them all back upstairs and hung them up. I'll be damned if I'll pay an extra dollar just to dry them. I hang them up and let nature take its course.

Once that was done I was exhausted and needed a nice frosty mug of apple juice on the rocks. It's a good thing I bought some the other day. While I was enjoying that I began to think about the other things the should have gotten done but weren't going to. And I thought about quitting. I said to myself "Self. Why don't you just stop? You don't have to read. You don't have to write. You don't have to paint. You don't have to think. Just relax, watch some stupid TV and forget about it all." Myself answered "And just how long do you imagine you will be able to do that without getting bored." "Okay Self" I said, "you're right. It's back to the computer."

I would like very much to be able to do more than I do. There is always something important that I didn't get to, something left over for the next day, or the day after. But it's a good reason to stagger out of bed in the morning, find my slippers, take a pee, make a coffee and think about all the things I have to do.

I hope I leave something good in every day.

DB - The Vagabond
***********************
SPRING QUESTION
(This is not a contest.)

In your opinion what is the most amazing thing that could happen during this decade? Make it as outrageous as you want but keep it within the realm of what you consider a possibility.

15 responses so far.

Answers will be published the first day of Summer.

Thank you.

dbdacoba@aol.com

DB - The Vagabond
*******************

8 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Hope the juice was refreshing, and that the computer was friendly. Have a nice Sunday.

Big Mark 243 said...

You know, it sounds a lot like NOT being retired! Instead of a chore, they become adventures and personal pride is what is at stake.

I don't know if I will ever get to the books I'd like to read or if I will ever find the time to write a story or book. But the focus those goals provides also gives a purpose to waking up.

So whether it is to something grand like writing a book or creating a work of out, or if it is washing shirts to be hung to dry or finding a nice breakie spot, the purpose behind those achievements is reason enough for living.

Liz said...

I try to read again (full stop).That is the mountain I climb. I seem to remember it was much easier when I was a child.
I try to paint pictures with words that will please and intrigue people.
I try to share ideas...
It seems we are similar up to a point and so different in many diverse ways.
As well as leaving something good in every day it is great to be able to also take something good from every day. Balancing the act of living is not for the faint hearted.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

We have all the rain here in mid Ohio that is why you don't have any. While it's been pleasantly warm the sun hasn't been out much. I do so agree with you that retirement brings many days that are not long enough to get it all done. I've got lots to do like you and barely scrape the surface most days. I don't know how I had the time to go to work...

mrs.missalaineus said...

it's been raining like a sumbitch here and (up until now) has also been hot and humid.

i like the idea of leaving something good in each day and will try to apply it to my teaching philosophy in summer school this year.

xxalainaxx

Anonymous said...

You are so right DB, I was never so busy until I retired, now I need a 48 hour long day.

Inday said...

hahaha .... so typical of DB.

You know DB, you are a Depression Quencher! So better keep the humour up.

I rather read your blog that stifles s nagging negative force within me than dealing with depressants (not drugs of some kind). Just a food for thought.

Trees said...

It seems to me when we retire we indeed end up much more busier than before. There never seems to be enough time in a day to do all we have to. So I say do what we can and leave the rest. The way you do laundry is great, I leave my tshirts or sweaters or my son's shirts for a few mintues pull them out and them on the hangers and they are good to go.
Each day you leave a post here in
Vagabond Journeys, my friend, you leave something good in every day. You cheer us up when we are down, you support us. You make us laugh. We love your quizzes and contests. Your knowledge of most things leaves me in amazement. For me you always leave me, after reading your blog, a little bit richer for having read it. So yes you leave a little something good in every day when you write and share your world with your family in blog land.