Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Watch Out For Tanks

Since I've got on the Internet, it's opened a whole world of wasted time for me.

Mick Ralphs
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Let's face it, the computer is a battleground. I spent from 10 a.m. until 1:45 p.m. yesterday trying to send a single email. I kept getting a window that said I was blocked from sending emails. Blocked. That was followed by a long complicated explanation from Keyword. Evidently the Great Bubu, the man behind the curtain, thought I was trying to send spam. Spam!? Me? Spam and I don't mix.

The techie at AOL finally figured it out and had me deleting periods, brackets and other such marks until the email was sent. Then I sat down to write this Vagabond Journey and when I was almost finished writing it the computer deleted it.

I used to play war games with a friend, those games played on a paper map with a grid of numbered hexagons and small cardboard squares that represented armies or parts of armies. One of those games was about tank warfare in the desert. There was an attacker and a defender. The defender was allowed to secretly hide tanks under the sand or behind dunes, making notes about where they were. The attacker wouldn't know where they were unless he came upon them whereupon the tanks would suddenly appear and a battle would ensue. Depending on the route through the desert the attacker took it was possible for him to pass the hidden tanks and avoid all contact with them, but it wasn't likely, even though it would have been easier than dealing with a computer.

It seems AOL, Google, Microsoft and who knows who else have these secret weapons buried in your main frame, your keyboard, your monitor, your modem and on the Internet. They are like alien creatures hiding under the sand waiting for you, but you don't know they're there unless you try to do something.

How stupid of me to think I could send an email from Pennsylvania to Indiana. BLOCKED. How ignorant of me to try to write a journal entry. DELETED. That should teach me a lesson.

What is this world coming to that we have to beware of our computers?

DB
*************

4 comments:

Inday said...

Well DB, computers are objects subject to manipulation of human beings. They too like engines have their own wear and tear, subject to constant upgrading to keep up with their own Jones just like humans do.

My computer is new. One year into its service, it already started to suffer sickness. It is supposed to be protected by its technical antibiotic known as Antivirus.

Is my computer immuned from these aliens in spite of being fitted with anti-resistant war tanks? No.

You and I will wonder why these things happen? For a long time, I could not figure out why I could not post comment. I gave up and let things cool down. It is only lately that I found out why.

Our system is vulnerable to anything in the cybeworld. Yet, we do not know who is our enemy behind the line.

My recent discovery is I can no longer upload pictures using my blogger account called gmail. Reason being, I have already used up the storage space allocated for me. I wanted to upgrade the storage which means I need to pay such amount depending on the size I want to keep.

Believe me, I exhausted my time finding the owner so I can email and tell them that I am interested to make avail of the service. And if they will reply, then I can negotiate sending my payment by postal service for I never conduct transaction over the net. I'm sure you are aware of that.

I could not find it. So what must I do? Will I recreate another account so I can continue wasting my time on the internet posting nonsense post?

All things have its own ending. By the way, I do get lots of spam letters telling me I won this and that especially about getting inheritance from Who? That's the name of the game, here on the internet. Whose doing? Your guess is as good as mine.

Maybe you should open a google account. Google owns blogspot where you post your journals everyday.

All the best. Be safe.

Big Mark 243 said...

It has been such a long time since I have had those kinds of problems that I have assumed that they were a thing of the past.

I don't understand how the languages intersect and interact. That seems to be the where your problems began. A symbol means one thing to you and another to your computer. Prolly why the tech support had such a time giving you the aid you needed.

I remember playing a board game about tank battle by a company named Avalon Hill. Can't remember the name of it though...

Liz said...

You can find an enemy everywhere if that is what you are looking for.

Gerry said...

I have a son named Dan who if I get completely stuck on my computer comes and does battle with it and comes out victorious since he has been doing battle on these grounds since he went to a computer magnet school and says he had the best teacher ever and besides that he studies, is adventuresome, and does far more with a computer than I could ever think to do in my wildest dreams.
Besides that I have always thought of making friends with my dear computers just as I did my cars so they know what I expect of them and pretty soon me and they are getting along fine, but it takes a while. Then I have a friend Connie, who does graphics who I consult in a bind, and she figures things out fast. All such sources help, so it is a good thing to holler help and someone is sure to have an idea.