Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Actress

Understand that the right to choose your own path is a sacred privilege. Use it.

Oprah Winfrey
******************
Hello Frosty
*******************
Her name is Lisa.

I was in a production in the South. It was a large theatre with almost full houses for every performance. One day a request was put up on the call board for actors who would be willing to talk to a group of high school students. I always enjoyed doing that so I put my name down right at the top.

It was a Monday afternoon, a day on which there was no performance, when another actor and I went over to the high school where we found a small group of bright, polite and energetic high school seniors. I asked them if they all saw the play and they nodded so I said to ask us questions and make them as hard as they wanted. And they did.

What followed was a very lively discussion about theatre, art and personal histories. Sitting at the end of the row was a quiet girl, a pretty brunette who finally asked something about life in the theatre.

Our conversation went something like this:
Are you interested in being in theatre?
Yes, but...
But what?
I don't know if I could make it.
Why not?
I don't know if I'm good enough.
What makes you say that?
I don't know.
Have you done any acting?
Yes. School plays.
Did you enjoy that?
Yes.
Did anyone tell you you weren't good at it?
No.
Then why don't you think you aren't good enough?
I'm just not sure.
You're not sure of yourself?
Yes. I guess so.

I looked at the other actor, who nodded his head. I said to him "I'll take this."

I picked up the folding chair I was sitting in and moved it over to right in front of her and sat down. I asked her her name. "Lisa" she said.

I took her hands in mine and stared into her eyes for a long minute. In them I saw timidity and uncertainty, then softness, distant sparkles reflected off of water, then colors surrounding a deep pool of light, cool fire.

Then I spoke, very quietly and very slowly. "Never......Doubt......Yourself."
She smiled and then I said "Promise me." She nonned with a big smile.

I let go of her hands, picked up my chair and went back to my place to finish the discussion with the others.

Good luck Lisa. Break a leg.

DB - The Vagabond
Never Give up
***************************
AUTUMN QUESTION

What event over the past year changed your life, a lot or a little?

Only 5 answers so far.

dbdacoba@aol.com

I eagerly await your answers.
DB
********************

3 comments:

Ken Riches said...

I can picture this, wonderful image.

pacifica62 said...

Hello db. I can't help but wonder how many people had their hopes and dreams shattered by some ignorant person. Leads us to question and doubt our own capabilities. I hope your words changed this young lady's life

pacifica62 said...

Hello db. I can't help but wonder how many people had their hopes and dreams shattered by some ignorant person. Leads us to question and doubt our own capabilities. I hope your words changed this young lady's life