Sunday, August 15, 2010

Weekend Puzzle Answer

Sci Fi Story

A man gets on a bus in Boston at 1:45 and travels for half an hour.
When he gets off the bus it's 1:15.

Some very interesting answers here. Only one winner Stan in N H of the Blogspot Tigers. Congratulations Stan.

Some contestants thought the bus traveled into a different time zone. A half hour bus trip from Boston in any direction will not take you into another time zone.

A few people gave me interesting scenarios about the man falling asleep in the parked bus and sleeping thorough to the next day.

But the answer is very simple. He boarded the bus at 1:45 a.m. on November 1, 2009. During the half hour bus ride Daylight Savings Time ended and when he got off the bus what would have been 2:15 a.m. was now 1:15.

Thank you all.
DB

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Oh, forgot about that. Congrats, Stan. I had the poor guy take a very long nap. LOL

krissy knox said...

Hi db.

Obviously those who stated that the bus drove into a different time zone were incorrect. As you stated, a half hour bus trip from Boston in any direction will not take you into another time zone.

But I'm wondering why you are saying there is only one correct answer, it I am understanding you correctly. Why could the many not have fallen asleep in the parked bus and slept through to the next day, after the bus had travelled only 30 minutes?

I liked the two scenarios I gave you, and the one Val gave you, and think they are correct also. You said the answer "is very simple." I think our answers are even more simple! They are just as correct, anyway!

If Sam answered first, he should truly be the winner of this weekend puzzle, however, I believe that there is not only one person who got a correct answer!

Thank you for allowing me to voice my opinion on this. :)

Your friend, krissy :)