Thursday, August 12, 2010

Trail Markers

Believe those who seek the truth, doubt those who find it.

Andre Gide
***************
On the first day of rehearsal the director, Charlie, walked into the room wearing a button which read "There are no rules." Immediately I realized that this was a person I could work with.

I always get a chuckle out of hearing people who are stone headedly sure of one form of so-called truth or another. I'm laughing at myself at the same time because in my younger days I was just as implanted in my own opinions and would not listen to opposing options. I rue those days.

I once saw an English speaking woman from Moscow extolling the virtues of Communism and how it was the only true and practical form of government and that anyone who didn't realize it was ignorant. I wonder what she thought when the Communist government in Russia began to erode.

Is there any difference between that and the insistence of so many religionists on the undeniable truth of their particular form of worship. It has been said many times, in many ways that if your faith cannot be doubted and challenged it's not worth a nickle.

True seekers for truth are about it every day and have been for centuries. The disciples of Jesus and Mohammad, the rabbis of Europe, the Buddhist and Shinto priests, the Sufis of Asia and philosophers and scientists since ancient Egypt have been and are in the search for truth.

Every rock must be turned over and observed. No one person can do it alone. But in the wilderness there are trail guides, marks that tell you someone has been there before. For me those aphorisms and rare quotations, such as the one from Gide above, are those trail markers. I hope to someday leave behind a trail marker or two for future seekers.

When one reaches the point of absolute certainty one is in a cul de sac, the bottom of the bag. The only hope is to turn around and go back. To doubt is to continue the journey, the exploration. There are more rocks to turn over.

In my own journey to understanding I am grateful for the trail markings of those who have gone before me, I am grateful for my own discipline and I'm grateful that there is always something more to discover.

Never give up.

DB - Vagabond Journeys
*****************************

SUMMER QUESTION
(This is not a contest.)

Who are the 2 (two) most important people alive today? Why?

Only 6 responses so far. Let's go folks. Get with it. I don't care if you're hot.

dbdacoba@aol.com

Thank you.
DB
********************

3 comments:

Stan in NH said...

The truth shall set us free, a wise man once said. It's a shame that we've converted real truth into proprietary truths, truths of convenience, and truths of the "unwashed masses". Truth is supposed to be universal, instead, our ridiculous society has bastardized the truth into popular opinion.
It's very sad. Perhaps Pilate was right when he asked "what is truth?"

Arlene (AJ) said...

What a wonderfulread DB you wrote today. Love that I discover something more every day or so, keeps me going forward and reaching for a new challenge. I sure hope all those who know me will say one day that I left a mark that was positive on them.

Ken Riches said...

It is a difficult thing to learn to listen and be open, and not immediately respond to the first few words uttered and miss the rest of the message.