Saturday, April 14, 2012

Stop The Clock

When a thing is done, it's done. Don't look back. .Look forward to your next objective.

General George Marshall
*****************************
Hello Arlene
*****************************
I've been thinking about the subject of time. Time, one of the nastiest apples ever plucked from the tree of good and evil. I'm not sure if I have time to write about it this evening, It will take some time and even though I have time on my hands, it may be time to do something else. But since it's a timely subject I'll take the time to address it.

I'm beginning to believe as many forward thinking and prophetic philosophers and scientists have said, time doesn't really exist. There is no time. Time hasn't run out. It was never there in the first place.

"Stand still ,you ever-moving spheres of heaven,
That time may cease, and midnight never come."
(Christopher Marlowe)

We are tyrannized by our clocks and calendars. While time is really only a human measurement of how long it takes something to move. we shape our lives around it. And the worst part of it, the most toxic part, is that we put events into a time slot of future, present and past. But I've come to realize that there is no past. The past is gone, so it doesn't exist and therefore it doesn't require my attention nor do the memories that cloud around it.

"Behind me the branches of a wasted and sterile existence are cracking."
(Gustav Mahler)

And so they should be though one could hardly call Mahler's life wasted and sterile. But what is cracking is gone and will do what all past does, fall back into it's essence and create the present, and the present will create the future. The future, like the past, doesn't exist and it never will because all there is is the present and the present doesn't exist in time.

"And the angel...lifted up his hand to heaven, and sware...that there should be time no longer."
(Revelation)

If Mahler's life was wasted and sterile than everyone's life was also. but only if we didn't take advantage of the now. We have always been and always will be in the present moment because there is no other. Now is the only time. "Now is the day of salvation."
(Corinthians II)

Well, I can see from the old clock on the wall that it's almost time to post this. Today is the only day. Do good things today and keep on doing them.

DB - Vagabond Journeys
Never give up.
*****************************

6 comments:

pacifica62 said...

There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present moment. I think that time is something that humans invented to make sense of chaos. Everything in a defined, neat little box with boundaries on all sides. We have nothing but time and yet we never have enough time. The only thing that matters is right here and right now.

Jon said...

I'm glad that I took the time to read this!
I'm certainly hoping that time doesn't really exist - yet it is annoyingly persistent.....

Geo. said...

I'm sure living purely in the present is exhilarating, virtuous and joyous until you need to remember where you left things. I've worked with people like that and I am nuts now.

Ken Riches said...

Live now, plan for the future, learn from the past.

Arlene (AJ) said...

The past with it's sadness and some very trying times has taught me to live for today and make the most of it. Really think it has allowed me to truly enjoy each day no matter what it brings and has made me stronger. We can't change what has happened in the past, just just learn from it and allow ourselves to accept and move forward in a positive manner. I believe it has made me a much better person.

Thanks for saying hi, hope you have a good day your way DB.

Rubye Jack said...

The idea of time can certainly be deceptive since we have to work within its confines it seems necessary to believe in it. The past is never in the past. It is always here within and rather than letting go of it, I've semi-learned to cope with it.