Sunday, February 8, 2009

Ascending Articulations 2/08/09

When the word is yet unspoken, you are the master of it, when once it is spoken, it is master of you.

Arab proverb
************************************
Good wish filled greetings.


Words have power. That's why we have to be careful about what we say. Promises we can't keep, oaths we must break, confidences we let slip, insults we don't mean, criticisms that hurt, gossip, ridicule, lies, even attempts at being witty, clever and humorous at the expense of other people are fetters that bind us to the darker side of life, though we may not know it at the time.

It is difficult to always think before we speak, especially if we are in an animated conversation. And maybe if that conversation turns to finding fault with someone who is not there, we risk losing the attention and respect of the other people if we don't join in.

Dogs snarl at each other sometimes and cats may hiss, but why should humans do that?

I used to carry a card in my wallet that read "Keep your big mouth shut." Unfortunately I didn't look at that card often enough. As a result I have said many things in my life that I regret. So have you. They don't go away. It is so important to think before we speak, not to make sure we are expressing ourselves in the clearest manner but to make sure we are not going to regret our remarks. Words fly with articulate force but not always with ethical force.

Words can discourage, depress and destroy. Words can also describe, explain, teach and inspire. But the best words are the words that can heal. Even though I find myself tempted sometimes to say or write the angry, hating words, I try to follow a rare piece of advice I found somewhere and may use here some day which reads "Think before you think." With that advice I can think before I speak, write or stub my toe.

Vagabond Journeys
-------------------------------------
May you have warm sunshine or a cool breeze. Whichever you need most.

3 comments:

Ken Riches said...

I have my moments, but most of the time only say what I mean to say.

betty said...

I so totally agree DB! That's why I think God gave us 2 ears and one mouth; to hear more and speak less!

I'm reminded of what James says in the book of James about the tongue.....

(I think you might know, but I'm taking a break from journaling, I'll pop in as I can but I need to get things done; I am removing myself as follower on a lot of the journals I follow to simplify my life and computer time, but that doesn't mean anything against you so don't take it personal that I'm not "following" your journal anymore. I would encourage you to do the same too to my journal; I find I'm letting blogs consume me rather than me have control over them so I redid my system of how I keep track of them :)

betty

Beth said...

I've noticed that phenomenon in blogging. There have been times when I've had a situation in mind as I wrote, but someone felt it was about them. It's so easy to misconstrue things (and I've done it myself)! In some ways, this is a wonderful form of communication and self-expression. In others, it's one of the worst ways to do so.

Hugs, Beth