Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Jagged Journey 2/17/09

Genius means little more than the faculty of perceiving in an in habitual way.

William James
******************************
Happy Wednesday to you!
(I know it's Tuesday. I'm just getting my licks in early,)
-------------------------------------------
In several ways this quote from James labels my philosophy. I'm always on the road to get people, including myself, to look at the outside and inside world with a fresh and unusual view point. Two things that are side by side may not belong together. Returning to the same place after an absence may not yield the same environment. When sure about something is the appropriate time to challenge it. "What if..." is a very healthy way to approach anything we see or think.

In essence it is the battle between good and evil, the conflict between the nice angel and the nasty angel. We are much more capable of controlling what we think than we think we are. Those who perceive, or think they perceive, the dark in some one else's thoughts or behavior are reacting to their own darkness. There are dark. sinister thoughts that crawl up into our thinking. The healthy way is to recognize that they are not our own thoughts, even though they do a very good job of masquerading as ours, and to kick them down the cellar stairs and replace them, or rather make them give way to the right thoughts. It's more than looking on the bright side of things. Looking on the bright side implies that there is a dark side. It's more like turning on a lamp.

We can, and do, spend our lives in this paradoxical state of chasing away the bad thoughts and replacing them with the good. But true enlightenment shows that the good/evil conflict is a false reality. It relies upon habitual ways of perceiving life, and the bad habit of looking for trouble and problems. I personally know of no one who has reached the point of enlightenment where there is no more struggle of perception, but I know there are people who have achieved it. It is a state to be wished and strived for.

DB - Vagabond Journey
-----------------------------------
It's a turning day. So turn the tables, but leave the worms alone.

4 comments:

Big Mark 243 said...

Okay ... I will bite!

"...so it is true, in a fair fight between good and evil, evil wins." -Larry Merchant, columist of the first Liston - Patterson fight.

You do what you are ... if you don't like what you are, don't do what you do, and choose to do something different!

Because it is simple, it is the hardest thing to master, to beat back oneself, and make yourself anew.

I think that each day gives us the opportunity to build on what work we did, to arrive where we are. Don't like where you be ... then do better work where you are!

Arlene (AJ) said...

I know my own personal motto "No One Or Nothing Will Get Me Down" works for me. Is life 100% perfect at all times, no way, but my daily goal is acceptance of what life brings my way, work at not judging others since I'm not in their shoes and look forward to brightening someones day as it in returns brightens mine. Is there evil out there, yes....I just don't have time for that, I'm contented to be the angel in the middle, not cruel, not perfect, but not bad to have around.

Beth said...

I like Arlene's comment..."the angel in the middle." That works for me.

I am very much an optimist, but I have my "dark nights of the soul" on rare occasions. I just go with it, get over it, move on...knowing that I will come out the other side stronger and more knowledgeable of the human condition. It's called learning from life.

Great entry, D.

Love, Beth

Ken Riches said...

For me, I strive for the glass is half full and the silver lining in the cloud. That is just the way I roll :o)