Friday, February 20, 2009

Methodical Maturing 2/20/09

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our lives, the clearer we should see through it.

Machiavelli
**************************
So there you are, are you?
-------------------------------------
The best friends one can have are those who point out your failings, you foolishness and your pretensions, laughing with you, perhaps, but not at you or scorning you. I am grateful to have had some friends like that in the past. And even though I may have felt resentful and tried to justify myself at the time, I look back now and see genuine love and concern.

I don't like to look back at my past life. There are a lot of events there I don't care to remember, but I can recall with amusement the times when I was passionate about some foolishness, putting on airs about myself, and trying to behave like someone I wasn't. Every time there is something about myself I don't understand, sand will fill up the hole for me.

One of the great advantages of getting older is that there is less sand in the way of becoming acquainted with myself. I could waste a lot of time being ashamed of things I did in the past But why bother? Now I can look through the glass and see the things I might be ashamed of ten years from now and know how to avoid them.

Don't forget that the sandman is the character who is supposed to lull us to sleep so that we will dream sweet dreams of who we are not, instead of seeing who we are. So wipe the sand from your eyes. The person you are today is much better than that silly, pretensions, ignorant, buffoon you used to be.

And don't watch the sand slowly escaping into the bottom of the hourglass. Look up to see where the light is coming through.

DB - The Vagabond
---------------------------------------
It's your world, treat it well.

4 comments:

Linda's World said...

Great post again, DB. Linda in WA

Ken Riches said...

As we age, we gain lines. One can hope that the lines we gain are due to laughter and not frowns :o)

Beth said...

Crippling regret is for fools and masochists.

How I See It said...

This post touched my heart. Thank you.