Monday, February 2, 2009

Unusual Understanding 2/02/09

The noblest function of an object is to be contemplated.

Miguel de Unamuno
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Hello Friend.

It has been five years since Punxsutawney Phil has consented to an interview, so it's with pride and pleasure that I welcomed this opportunity.

DB Thank you for this interview Phil.

PP Yeah, well make it quick. I got work to do.

DB Sure Phil. Now about how long have you been the active ground hog here in Punxsutawney?

PP 15 years.

DB That's not too long.

PP Well, Dad had the job for years, but one day he decided he had enough, so he retired to Florida and I had to step in fill his shoes.

DB How do you like it?

PP It's OK. I get to come out once in the Winter, sniff the fresh air, have a look around, check out the chicks, know what I mean?

DB Sure Phil. Meanwhile how's life down in the hole there?

PP Not bad, not bad. The wife gets cranky when I don't take out the trash, but otherwise we get along okay. And the kids are great.

DB How many kids have you got, Phil.

PP A boy and a girl. I'm building extra room for them off the den, They're headin' inta the terrible teens now so I think they better have rooms of their own.

DB Good thinking.

PP Yeah. And my wife wants me to put up a patio when the warm weather comes.

DB Is she anxious for Spring?

PP She don't like the cold. Me, I don't care.

DB What's your favorite part of the job, Phil?

PP Comin' outside, scaring the ducks.

DB What don't you like about it?

PP The people.

DB You mean the people you work with?

PP Nah, the people who come and gawk and laugh every year. You'd think they'd never seen a ground hog before. The got cameras, they take pitchers, videos. They try and get me to talk. One of them said "Hey, Punx!" I told him, I said "It's Mister Punxsutawney to you, buddy." There's a guy over there sellin' T shirts. They got my pitcher on it. Another guy sellin' mugs. It's awful. The ducks I don't mind because they're stupid, but the people drive me nuts. Some years I don't even wanna come out.

DB What would happen if you didn't?

PP Nah, I got to. It's my job.

DB So what is it this year Phil, spring or no spring?

PP It'll be on TV..

DB Phil, before you go I wonder if you would give me an autograph.

PP Sure! Uh, how do I make it out?

DB Just "To the Vagabond, love Phil."

PP You're kiddin' me.

DB What?

PP You're the Vagabond?

DB Yes.

PP Whadda ya know. I got your blog, Vagabond Journeys, on my laptop downstairs. We read it everyday. Wait'll I tell my wife. She's gonna be so jealous.

DB Well Phil, see you next year?

PP Dogs willin'.


(Copyright by P. Phil, Inc. All rights reserved.)


May you have Spring in your heart every day no matter what the weather.

http://db-vagabondtales.blogspot.com/
http://vagabondjottings.blogspot.com./

7 comments:

Beth said...

Haaaa! I loved this! I could imagine Phil's voice in my head...sort of a Jersey voice. :)

B.

Jon said...

This has put an entirely new light on Punxsutawney Phil and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It also helped to thaw my dreary winter.

Sage Ravenwood said...

What a delightful interview. Unfortunately we are in for another 6 weeks of winter. However I'm keeping Spring warm in my heart for the time being. (Hugs)Indigo

betty said...

this was so cute DB!! I enjoyed this very much!!!

I haven't heard what Phil saw today or didn't see; I'm hoping for an early spring for you!

betty

Arlene (AJ) said...

Oh I loved this, you are so darn creative DB, wish you'd write a book for everyone to read and enjoy and cherish. I'd be the first in line at the book store to buy it.

Ken Riches said...

Way to sugar coat bad news :o)

Leigh/BlueDragonfly said...

You should see the big smile on my face right now. Very cute!

:) Leigh