Sunday, February 22, 2009

Original Observations 2/22/09

When you take a flower in your hand and really look at it, it's your world for the moment.

Georgia O'Keeffe
******************************
Hi, come with me for a while.
-----------------------------------------

When you look at a flower it's your world for a moment, but you are also its world. For the moment, other than itself, you are the flower's only world, your presence defines existence for the flower. Whatever invisible, intangible quantities you give off that the flower can receive are informing something to it. I don't know what a flowers consciousness is, who does? There may be, and probably is, a consciousness of plants that we know nothing about. But I think some of them are more intelligent than others, They certainly seem to have personalities. Some are miscreant bullies who take over everything, some are simple minded, persistent weeds who will crack a city sidewalk for the sake of sending up an insignificant sprout, others are gentle, friendly, vulnerable creatures who entertain with beauty. I'm not ready nor willing to accept the idea that the personality of a flower is a myth. Some people still think that animals are just "dumb beasts" while others, the more enlightened of us, know they aren't. Even though they don't gallop or prowl around, flowers have wondrous things to say and do, as becomes apparent when you get close to one.

A few days ago I wrote about the wisdom of a tree, Knowledge Kit 2/18/09, how it sleeps through the winter, and when spring comes, how it reestablishes itself in the world. A flower has a different purpose to perform in life, it stands at a different place on the stage of nature's spectacle, whether it's doing it far from human view and appreciation in some remote meadow or whether, like a domesticated cat, it's living out its destiny in your back yard,

I know people who talk to flowers. Why not? I'll bet Georgia did. If nature never repeats itself, no two butterfly wings alike, no two snowflakes, etc, then no two roses are alike, and each one deserves its own individual respect wherever it is. As Oswald Chambers wrote "'Consider the lilies of the field' they grow where they are put."

There's a world for you in the flower. There's a world for the flower in you. I say grow with it.

DB
May your Spring come sneaking in early.

6 comments:

Beth said...

I haven't contemplated the potential consciousness of flowers, but I know they make me happy, and that's good enough for me. Maybe it makes them happy that they make me happy. I'd like that.

B.

Gerry said...

I have a tree in my living room I raised from about a foot tall. It is now close to 4 feet, and I feel it reactive to how I take care of it, but it gives me joy because it is the one live plant I have. It is a tree commonly planted around here, and now I am looking for the name of it. I have gone this long without knowing, but I feel it deserves for me to find out. I saw one like it at Basha's the other day and thought when I got home I should have looked for the name. In the country trees as well as a lot of other plants were very important. A great deal of energy and care was spent on watering, weeding the crops, the hay, the fruit trees, the garden. So I always felt there was a live connection between the plants and the people with the 'green thumbs.'

Anonymous said...

Any time I am around a group of serious meat eaters who want me to skip out on vegetarianism they bring this up. Oh, the poor carrot I am crunching...HE KNOWS! ;-0
That makes me pensive for 2 seconds, then I eat another carrot.
~Mary

Big Mark 243 said...

'See the three ... be the three'

Kind of metaphysical, dontcha think? What I do know, is that I like Georgia O'Keefe's work.

The relationship between a person and their 'flower' begins with the value they place on themselves. If one has no value or appreciation for themselves, what value can they ascribe to something else?

Even should it make them happy, the beauty of the flower, what does it mean, when they can't understand the beauty that is in them?

Here, I see it everyday, passing the houses that are run down, looking at the once bright but now dulled people, worn by not being able to see in themselves what they wanted out of the world.

If there is a conscious to all things, then what is being said to these poor souls? What does the flower say to them?

Did I mention that I like Georgia O'Keefe?

Rose said...

I have found myself talking to my plants before!

The vivid colors of all flowers bring a smile to everyone's face.

I enjoyed this entry!

Hugs, Rose

Ken Riches said...

That is why I wear ear plugs when I do yard work - oh the screams.