Monday, February 16, 2009

Immortal Incitation 2/16/09

A rare experience of a moment at daybreak, when something in nature seems to reveal all consciousness, cannot be explained at noon. Yet it is part of a day's unity.

Charles Ives
*********************************
A warm good day to you.
______________________________
I know very well the jump out of bed, throw on clothes, rush around and get things done business. I spent most of my life on that amusement park ride. Now I'm retired and I have no place to go and nothing to do except write to you and tell you stories.

But the great advantage I have now is to notice things. Not just look at things but be aware of them, which is another way of saying to become at one with them, attuned to them. In the morning the flowers open up and shine even though no one is watching. The birds, squirrels and other critters go about their business totally uninterested in what humans think about it. It is at those times that one gets the realization that the human consciousness is not the only one ticking.

There are moments like that all throughout the day, but when the hub and the bub start it's very hard to become attuned with them. It requires effort and commitment. It's a matter of importance.

Why do old men sit on the front porch and watch the world go by, or sit on the back porch and watch the grass grow? Well let me tell you it's not as stupid as it looks. What are we doing, waiting for something to happen? It's happening. Looking for something to do? We're doing it. Sitting around waiting to die? No, we're sitting around living.

Some people retire, get bored and want to go back to work. There's nothing wrong with that. But no one should avoid the treasures of thought and experience to be gained from one's leisure time. In fact, I think folks should program leisure time into their lives just as they do working, taking care of family, eating and sleeping. I wouldn't know this if I hadn't been coaxed into retirement by the circumstances of my life.

To paraphrase Mr. S.: Some are born with leisure time, some achieve leisure time and some have leisure time thrust upon them.

However you get it, use it wisely. Don't sit around worrying. There are universal messages waiting for you to see, hear and feel.

DB
---------------------------------------------
Imagine yourself climbing a tree today.

8 comments:

Leigh/BlueDragonfly said...

I'll pass on the image of tree climbing-the last time, I broke a bone in my heel!
I will look for the flower blooming, just in the frost on the windows, but they're there!

:) Leigh

Big Mark 243 said...

Good post ... I enjoyed it.

Big Mark 243 said...

Good post ... I enjoyed it.

Sage Ravenwood said...

It's amazing in my deafness I'm far more aware of the world around me than ever before. I see the various facial expressions, hand gestures...those lone moments of the wind whispering.

We should all live so vicariously within the quiet silence. (Hugs)Indigo

betty said...

one of my favorite things to do is to just sit and watch the world pass by, to enjoy the ocean waves at the beach or watching people walking by, etc. totally enjoyed reading this DB!

enjoy the day

betty

Linda's World said...

Fantastic post my friend. After working for most of 47 years, I'm thoroughly enjoing my leisure time. Most days, I can do as much or as little as I want to. No more time cards to punch at 0'dark thirty 5 days a week. Just mailed you a postcard. Linda in Washington

Beth said...

One of the things I enjoy the most about not working is having the time to really pay attention to and appreciate even the littlest things going on around me. It's very pleasant and mind-broadening.

Hugs, Beth

Ken Riches said...

Sitting around living, what a wonderful sentiment :o)