Saturday, February 28, 2009

Upscale Umrage 2/28/09

Without rain there would be no life.

John Updike
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Hello dreamer.
--------------------------------------
I like the rain.

Rain: the grand metaphor for sorrow, trouble, depression, frustration and inconvenience. "Into every life a little rain must fall." "Don't rain on my parade." "Rain, rain, go away, come again some other day." And so on, and so on. We run away from it or carry an umbrella to protect ourselves from it as if it was seven angels dumping plagues on our heads.

Well I happen to like rain. If Nature wants to water her trees, then she can water my head while she's at it. I know about sorrow. Tears can help clean the slate. I know about trouble. It's what makes you knuckle down and solve things. I know about frustration. I own a computer after all. Let the rain come. It can't hurt me.

I used to go hiking in the White Mountain National Forest whenever I could. Sometimes I went out in the rain. One day I took a trail that skirted the side of a cliff. It wasn't a long trail but it was steep and difficult, and very slippery because it began to rain. I donned my rain gear, a large pullover rain coat that came to my knees, with a hood. I also had my big walking stick. As I got near the end of the trail I heard something you don't expect to ever hear way out in the woods. I heard a car door slam.

I was approaching a area of cliffs. At the far end was a road where people could drive up for the view. As the rain was letting up a car came up there. When I reached the top I stepped out from behind the trees and saw a couple standing at the edge of the far cliff, admiring the view. I didn't move because I didn't want to startle them in their precarious position. But the woman saw me grabbed the man by the arm and he looked. They both ran back to the car and drove off as fast as they could.

I don't know what they thought they saw in my long coat, with the hood, my beard and my big stick. I was Jeremiah, John The Baptist, The Old Man Of The Mountain, The Ghost Of The White Mountains, whatever. They are probably still talking about the specter they saw that rainy day,

But think, if I had stayed home that day because of the rain I would never have given them that strange experience to talk about and I wouldn't have this story to tell.

DB
-------------------
Embrace a dream today

4 comments:

Sage Ravenwood said...

This post brings two quotes to mind, unfortunately I don't know who the author to either is.

"Anyone who thinks sunshine is happiness has never danced in the rain"

May favorite of course is this one:
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain".

(Hugs)Indigo

Ken Riches said...

Rain gives us peace and soothing sounds, especially when we are snuggled in the comfort and toastiness of our beds. Singing in the rain is a powerful metaphor :o)

Beth said...

I wonder if that couple really did think they saw a ghost? Too funny!

I even like thunderstorms, as long as they don't get too severe. I love seeing the sky light up and thinking of how much power is there.

B.

Anonymous said...

Being a nature lover and a gardener, I love the rain also. It is the freezing cold that I dislike, perhaps that is why I like the tropics. My plants never froze while I lived in Panama. Great story DB. (rene)