Saturday, May 2, 2009

Becoming Breakthrough 5/02/09

The best way to outlive your past is to start living your future.

DB - The Vagabond
*******************
Hail. Some people, including myself, have had trouble getting into my journal. It seems to come and go, like phases of the moon. "Try again later" as AOL is fond of saying. It's apparently working right now. I don't know what made it work but I suspect it was because I marinated the modem in some high class Japanese saki.
---------------------------------------
Outliving the past. Yes. This is a topic I've been pondering for some time now. The memories keep stacking up. Mine come to me randomly, like a shuffled deck of cards; my loves, my successes, my failures, my regrets. It's very easy, if you are a crotchety old curmudgeon like me, to say "Well, most of my life has been lived." When, in fact, a lot of time has been spent either living your life or not living it. That's all.

That one cannot predict the future is no reason not to live in the present and look forward.to it. I simply want to do the things that my meager income and my physical infirmaries allow me to do and I don't care how much time I have left to do them. In writing this journal I often cite things in my past, but I think and I hope it is a healthy exercise, for a couple of related reasons. One is that it enables me to think back at those events and draw the values from them. And the other is that I can use the lessons learned and the observations made to illustrate some important point (or, at least, one that I consider important) for me and others. But, at the same time, writing is an act of pure futurism. It is something that I give out to the world to see tomorrow, or a year from tomorrow, or whenever, if ever.

Circumstance don't allow me to be a performer any more, unless miracles take place, but that doesn't mean life is over. You took a journey to someplace, and when you got there it wasn't where you thought you'd be? So what? Look around and see what there is to do and enjoy it.

As Yogi Berra so eloquently put it "The future ain't what it used to be." So toss out the "used to bes" and live it up, boys and girls. There are still a lot of mistakes to be made and successes to be achieved.

Yours truly.
____________________________
Sudsy blessings to you.
*********************************

SPRING QUIZ

THIS IS NOT A CONTEST

What do you think was the most important event of 2008? and

What was the most significant event in your life last year?

You have all Spring to answer if you wish.

15 responses so far.

Leave answers on my email dbdacoba@aol.com or on my journal
http://vagabondjourneys.blogspot.com/. Thank you. DB

5 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Looking around and finding something to do is the greatest thing we can do for ourselves, each and every day :o)

Rose said...

You are a great "Performer" right here in your blog!

I love reading your entries.

Hugs, Rose

Sage Ravenwood said...

Blogger has been throwing fits for a few days now. My blog disappeared altogether yesterday, scared the living daylights out of me. (Hugs)Indigo

Beth said...

And sometimes, when you get to your destination, you find that it's not quite the end of the road, after all. You've got a little more ramblin' to do. :)

Anne said...

Oh, I'm lovin' the Yogi Berra quotes. None of us are what we used to be and sometimes, my friend, that is a blessing. When I have pain, I usually respond, "oh, It's only physical pain" (OUCH)but the mental is so much worse. Watched the Derby today and that put a smile on my face. You have to love the of a 50 to 1 odds winner. (Mine That Bird) Perhaps it gives us all hope. Have a wonderful weekend D.B. Anne