Friday, May 8, 2009

Harvest Handling 5/08/09

Take your victories, whatever they may be, cherish them, use them, but don't settle for them.

Mia Hamm
**************************
How do.
I am pleased to say that yesterday I called Verizon and spoke with Mike, who scrubbed my computer from top to bottom, took out the trash and realigned my tires. Beginning today I think I can start reading your journals again. I hope so.
------------------------------------------------
I love this quote. I have adored it from the first time I read it. I'm fond of saying that life is unfinished business. There is always something more to do.

Suppose I won an Oscar, which isn't likely since I haven't made any movies in a long time. But suppose I did win one. What would I do with it? I could put it on a shelf and invite people over to see it. You could come and look at it, admire it and congratulate me for it. But at least one person, a close friend no doubt, would say "That's very nice, Now what?"

So you got your MFA or your PhD, had a successful career, raised two kids and now have some delightful grandchildren to sit on your lap, you've paid off your mortgage and own your home, you have the car you want and the bungalow on the beach and you're living well on your generous 401 K. Now what?

Trouble sets in when you settle. When people strive all their lives and finally achieve what they have striven for the big question looms "What is the meaning of life?" To many the striving is the meaning. To others it's the achieving. And to others it's the discovering. Life was meant to be enjoyed, that's for sure, but it wasn't meant to be given up on. Life should be a continuing adventure. Pointing back to one's achievements and trying to live surrounded by one's victories is not enough, There will always be, and should always be, that friendly voice that says "Okay. What's next?"

DB - Vagabond Journeys
___________________
Say hello to another day.
********************

7 comments:

Jon said...

I've never heard that quote before, but it's beautiful and I hope to remember it. Does Mike do windows??

Beth said...

LOL at Jon's comment!

I think I'm more about the discovery. I'm proud of what I've achieved, but I believe that as long as I keep that ability to find joy in the everyday, I'll have a good life.

pacifica62 said...

"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp -- or what's a heaven for?"
Robert Browning

Alice said...

Verizon will DO that??? Who knew! I know what's next. Actually I have choices but they all have to do with cleaning something. Right now I'm reading blogs and letting the cleaning wait. I'm sure it will still be there.LOL

Cathy said...

By this I'm reminded of a Shakespeare snippet: "Receive what cheer you may - the night is long which cannot find the day." Very fine entry, good read.

SILVER said...

Thank DB.

You're always so inspirational, so wise and positive, embracing life in whichever form it comes-

Self discovery in our own journeys can be very exciting.. yes.

Joyce said...

I'm finally at that point in life when I want nothing more than peace, calm, serenity and the ability to do whatever I feel like doing. One must always have something to do, someone to love and something to look forward to.
Hugs, Joyce