Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Leaving The Nest

A man with outward courage dares to die. A man with inward courage dares to live.

Lao-Tzu
****************
My good friend Marty once described me as a bird who has lost some feathers but is still flying. That's a statement that can be made about many people. The rough winds and fierce tussles of life can pluck off the feathers but if the wings still work it doesn't matter how scrawny the bird looks.

Lao-Tzu's wise words at the top have a particular significance to be currently. It was recently said of me that I lacked courage because I wouldn't fold my wings, nest and take inventory of my missing feathers.

To be sure it must take courage to face the end but if one is not there why put up the false acts of bravado. Every missing feather becomes a quill with which to point out pretences and inscribe the wisdom of a life still being lived.

I recently wrote in the pages of this journal about "casting," the diabolical urge that overtakes tightrope walkers, marathon runners and others. When the fear and pain become so great the suggestion comes, which seems to be one's own mind talking, to just quit, drop into the net, leave the race and lie down on the cool grass and rest. Because it appears to be one's own reasoning it's a very tricky thing to resist.

Every day is different. One of my journal friends recently commented that she looks forward to discovering what the day will bring, ready to be surprised, pleased or annoyed, whatever. That's a great attitude. Life is an adventure. Suit up, gas up, start flapping those wings, jump out of the safety net and take it all in.

DB - The Vagabond
****************
SUMMER QUESTION
(This is not a contest.)

Who are the 2 (two) most important people alive today? Why?

5 responses so far.

dbdacoba@aol.com

Thank you.
DB
********************

1 comment:

Ken Riches said...

I think daring to live is the key. You have done a remarkable job of that.