Saturday, July 3, 2010

Toss The Coin

The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.

Publius Tacitus
****************
This has been a difficult week for me. I'm faced with the dilemma of making a life changing decision. The decision isn't potentially life changing but one of the two choices is. I've been thinking about how easy it is to be turned into a major change of our lives because of a simple act, such as signing a piece of paper or saying a one syllable word like "yes" or "no."

Our lives change to one degree or another every day because's of choices we make. Most of the time those changes are minor and we don't see them as changes simply because we probably don't know what the alternatives were. Other times the changes are major ones but we may not remember what the choice was that brought it about. It may have been a simple choice with enormous results we didn't expect. It's baffling. "What choice did I make way back that led me to the situation I'm in now?"

When faced with a difficult choice reason is the best tool to use, but that takes mental effort, sometimes painful. We would rather have a fast answer so we flip a coin, read Tarot cards, consult the I Ching, check out our horoscope or look for a sign from heaven. But Shakespeare wisely said "Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie which we ascribe to heaven."

One afternoon a friend and I decided to go for a drive in a part of New Hampshire we were unfamiliar with and to decide where to go by flipping a coin. Whenever we came to an intersection coin flips would tell us which road to take. We stopped for lunch at a dull diner. The food was dull and there were absolutely no pictures or decorations on the walls. On the other hand we turned up a hill that took us to one of the most magnificent sights. To our right the hill continued up to a mansion of a house and to the left to a large wide field of wild flowers with gray mountains way in the distance. We just stopped and stared for quite a while. Eventually our coin took us back onto a highway heading home. I don't know where we went but it was a fun road trip through a strange part of central New Hampshire and I will never forget that magnificent view our coin led us to.

I will find the remedy in myself and come to a decision, and it won't be based on a coin toss. I will no doubt opt for enterprise rather than safety. Ah, but which is which? That's the dilemma.

DB - The Vagabond
********************

Weekend Puzzle

A minimalist cryptogram.

B'S GHH GH1 TXTPE P.M.

GHH GH1 ZTTHBFI AZURE

1L'O CATPT U R & AYC U R

& BZ U R GHH GH1 2.

BPXBFI NTPHBF

(G L)
DB

7 comments:

Big Mark 243 said...

There is a reason that you are advised in your 20's and 30's to take a bit of risk in your investment portfolio and in your 40's and 50's to make more conservative and stable investments.

Valerie said...

Good luck on your decision, DB. I will say a prayer for you.

Interesting story that goes along with this... A girlfriend and I were going out for a "night on the town". I was 18. We were going to a certain nightclub that went to a couple times a year. My friend made a wrong turn, turning toward the nightclub we usually frequented. We pondered whether to turn back. We didn't. I met my husband that night. Of course, we had kids. My whole life would have changed had we turned around and went the other direction. My kids and grandkids wouldn't have been born (or would they be half of themselves? LOL). Whoever they come in contact with now, too, their lives would be different. We are all connected!

Off to check out your puzzle. Hugs! xox

Liz said...

"...The fated sky
Gives us free scope, only doth backward pull
Our slow designs when we ourselves are dull."
All's Well that Ends Well
W. Shakespeare.
Forgive me for completing your quote and adding here that you are never dull my friend.

Arlene (AJ) said...

Whatever decision you make DB, make it the one you know is the right one for you dear. Know we all care about you.

Ken Riches said...

Sounds serious, hope the right choice reveals itself.

krissy knox said...

Dana, you will make the right decision. And how will you know it's the right one? Just follow your heart, your intution and the Lord will tell you which way to go, in that still small voice. Pay attention and "Be not afraid." I'm sure you'll make the right decision(s), and you'll even know what they are.

In the words of Mr. Frost:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I€ ’· I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference." ~ Robert Frost

Trees said...

We have talked at length about this Db, I know you will make the right choice. Follow your heart my friend and you will be just fine.