Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Definitive Devotion 1/14/09

Faults are thick where love is thin.

Danish proverb
*********************

Happy Wednesday Dear One


"Faults are thick where love is thin." This little seven word proverb is amazing. It's a deep, deep well and a two edged sword.

Have you ever been relaxing on the back porch in a beautiful Spring day, or on the beach in the Summer sun, trying to set your life in order and take better care of yourself, when a friend, a family member, some one close to you who has used the words "I love you" in your direction, comes along, sits down with you and begins disrupting you with all the things that are wrong with you? I have.

Or have you ever held a microscope up to and shone a light on someone's failings under the name of tough love? I have.

Have you ever done something in secret or in private that would hurt the one you love if he or she found out about it? I have.

Or have you ever loved anyone so much that all you wanted to do was to please them, including overlooking their faults? I have.

Have you ever been the receiver of that kind of love? I have.

And have you appreciated it as much as you should have? I haven't.

Everyone has faults, even my enemies. I try to make mercy, love and forgiveness be the rule. Do I succeed? Not yet. Not always. Who does?

But the time has come to thicken the love and thin out the faults.

DB


Be jolly and smile at a stranger today.

11 comments:

Linda's World said...

Very thought provoking entry my friend. Thank you!! Linda in Washington where there was no rain again today.

Coy said...

Good questions ... most of us have found in a place where faults were thick when love was thin. Happy Wednesday back atcha DB
*** Coy ***

Unknown said...

I have to say that this is one of the best entries you have ever written.
I need a tissue.
Mark and I read this together and plan to make this proverb part of our life.
Laini

Big Mark 243 said...

Very good entry ... not saying that cause everyone else is, but because it is the truth!

It is remembering the log in our own eyes before noticing what is in the eyes of others ...

Arlene (AJ) said...

Your thoughts have happened I believe to most all of us as we travel through life daily. The proverb really touched me, I plan on remembering this and make it part of our life for sure. Thank you dear.

Ken Riches said...

The key is to pick the right ones to thicken love with :o)

Beth said...

Ditto Ken. ;)

betty said...

very nicely written DB!!! imagine if all of us tried to live like you do, making mercy, love and forgiveness be the rule, what an awesome world this would be, sort of what God wants from us too, don't you think?

betty

Lisa said...

You stopped me in my tracks with these questions and made me think about the answers.

Breezy said...

After a few times of being verbaly critical of someone for something, and then turning around and doing the same thing I critisized them for, I have learned you don't know why or what that person is going through, or what made them do what they did, and if you are not part of the solution or part of the answer to the problem, just stay out of it. And FORGIVENESS is a biggie I know I need to work on.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.