Tuesday, October 18, 2011

With Rose Colored Glasses

He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices in those which he has.

Epictetus
*****************
Hello Lily
****************
I'm just a sweet old man, a happy-go-lucky guy, not a care in life, with the world on a string, seeing things through rose colored glasses. Right?

Wrong. Do you want a list of my pain and perils, my misery and mistakes, my fears and failures, horrors and heartbreaks, dangers and distress, harms and hazards, woes and worries, debts and destructions, agonies and abrasions, ridicules and regrets. idiocies and ignorance? Well, forget it. You will not be receiving that list today.

I amuse myself trying to walk down the street, with uncertain feet, a cane and a painful hip that doesn't work right. "Look at that old fool. It's only 10 a.m. and already he's drunk."

I don't scream with anger at the town I live in even though it has removed all the mail boxes I could comfortably walk to, almost all of the pocket parks where old folks can sit and rest and believes in the natural method of snow removal. Instead I laugh at the silliness of it.

My life is about books, reading, writing, painting and music. I read everything I can even though I have to hold a magnifying glass up to the side of my nose to see the words, or to see what I'm painting. I write in 14 point so I can see it. My CD player stopped working, but I'm glad to have a back up. I get into a fit and scream obscenities at the irrationality of the computer and then laugh at myself for treating it as if it's a rational human being.

All in all my difficult and troubled life has many things I can be joyful about. The best part of my life is the list of fascinating friends I have on the Internet. That kind of friendship, as gossamer as it may be, is the glue of my life. I'm so far behind answering your emails I hope you don't forget me. I'm a geezer who lives alone in a strange town, a vagabond to the world at large and a friend of some interesting people I will probably never meet. What's not to like?

DB - The Vagabond
Never Give Up
***********************
AUTUMN QUESTION

What event over the past year changed your life, a lot or a little?

Only 4 answers so far.

dbdacoba@aol.com

I await your answers.
DB
********************

5 comments:

Geo. said...

Re: "I hope you don't forget me."

Forget you? This old farmhouse --my Hamlet's castle-- was built the same year I was (1949) and I've spent the past 2 days replumbing its hot water system. There have been tears. I am not gossamer, I bleed. I seriously doubt I'll forget you, DB.; you being an actor: " ...while memory holds a seat in this distracted globe. Remember thee!" Does the distracted globe bolt to the right or left tank port? Globe Theatre? No I'm distracted again but I haven't forgotten thee.

Arlene (AJ) said...

You've led a very interesting life DB with all the things you've done career wise, your pintings, books you read and love and your writings. Trust me I'll never forget you and all the joy, knowledge and thought provoking blogs you've read, but then I'm not anywhere near ready to say goodbye to you dear, may you be blessed and us who read you with many more years....you're indeed a friend to all of us who also call you our friend.

Arlene (AJ) said...

You've led a very interesting life DB with all the things you've done career wise, your pintings, books you read and love and your writings. Trust me I'll never forget you and all the joy, knowledge and thought provoking blogs you've read, but then I'm not anywhere near ready to say goodbye to you dear, may you be blessed and us who read you with many more years....you're indeed a friend to all of us who also call you our friend.

pacifica62 said...

You meet people who forget you. You forget people you meet. But sometimes you meet those people you can't forget. Those are your 'friends.'”

Ken Riches said...

Sometimes Rose is a Great Tint.