Saturday, March 31, 2012

At Night

Midnight vigils make me happier than sleep or rest.

Plutarch
**********************
Hello Indigo
**********************
The evening is the hardest time for me. That's when I'm the loneliest. There is a lot of activity going on outside which I am not a part of nor would I be. My noisy neighbors generally knock off their fighting and turn in about 9:30. The cars start up and leave or else come in and park. The kid with the basketball usually gets tired around eleven. That's when the second part of my day begins. The cerebral part.

The morning is the ritual of moving things around, trying to make sense of the distopia I'm still living in. The afternoon is for shopping which manipulated on crutches or one crutch and a shopping cart is a one legged race. How many places along the way can I stop and rest without being mistaken for a vagrant (or a vagabond perhaps).

Ah but at eleven o'clock PM, when the noise is over, my journal is written and ready to post, that's when the books come out to play and my thoughts with them.

Why do I feel like napping at 4:30 in the afternoon but at midnight I'm wide awake. Some of it comes from my Pavlovian conditioning of life in the theatre, where the evening was always the busiest time and everyone was at a peak of energy. It was also a time when a bunch of creative people came together to work and i miss that a lot. That's probably why the evening is the loneliest time for me.

But at night my books are my friends and I admire and respect every one of them. There isn't a deaf ear among them. They entertain me and make me think. What more could you ask of a friend?

DB - The Vagabond
Never Give Up
**********************

6 comments:

Jon said...

I can FULLY sympathize with your plight. I am surrounded by three houses filled with Mexicans who I suspect are selling drugs. The traffic at the house across the street is non-stop, day and night.
The houses on either side of me have continuous all-night parties (one is going on full blast as I'm writing this).
I thought that crappy, noisy neighbors were only in Texas - but I'm sure it happens everywhere.
By the way, the kids set up a basketball court nearly in front of my house and they love to play at night after dark.

Hell, it's no wonder I drink!!!!!
By the way - - earp;lugs are my best friends......

Jon said...

I meant to say "earplugs". Sorry!

Geo. said...

Arguments that knock off at 9:30 are ok. That is some peoples' reality schedule. Annoying but not drug-fueled. I too use sound-dampening headsets --more comfy than plugs. And one set connects to the sound system. Haven't tried earp-lugs like Jon but it conjures up peace-keeping projectiles from the Old West --wouldn't rule 'em out.

Ken Riches said...

I definitely am more of a night person than an morning person, but that darn job keeps making me get up early.

Beth said...

I worked evening shift (3-11:30 pm) for several years, and it was best-suited to my biorhythms. However, I found it impossible to get much done. I'd stay up until 3 or 4 am, get up at noon, eat lunch, and then get ready for work. As much as I hated getting up early for day shift, I managed to get more stuff done then. I'm still a night owl, but I've learned to moderate that a little bit. But I still love the wee small hours of the night!

Big Mark 243 said...

... my heart hurts for you D.B., it really does...