Sunday, March 4, 2012

The True Love

We have left our thumbprints in the thick, moist clay of each other's lives.

Hugh Elliot
*******************
Hello Linda
********************
It has been said, and I believe it, that if we truly love someone we go on loving them forever no matter what the circumstances. That's because love itself has an immortal, universal, invisible substance untouched by the storms and vagaries of human existence. The challenges to our expressions of love such as time and distance, even death, affect only the expressions, not the love. True love is strong, patient and enduring.

There are many challenges and intrusions upon our expressions of the enduring love. There are other emotions that interfere such as frustration, boredom, anger, disgust, even hate. Cupid's arrow may turn into a dart or a javelin. Those aren't the destroyers of love, they are just the cover ups.

Real love must manifest itself somehow even if it is invisible and unknown. And even if it is seemingly unwanted. It is always expressed in some way and it is specific.

In my own recent experience of a love that had to be forsaken, or rather translated, I learned some lessons about love, now at the cusp of my 73rd year. For a few years I held in my heart a pure affection for someone, an honest and innocent love uncomplicated by any form of romance or desire for intimate physical contact, a father's love. It ultimately broke my heart.

In my thoughts she is the perfect child of universal love: kind, good, honest, pure, brave, innocent and strong. And even though she turned out to be none of those things and not the person I thought she was, but a user of narcotics, devious and dishonest, which left me bereft and sorrowing, I still hold her in my thought as the perfect child she could be and might be.

My affection, my love is pure and good and thus it is immortal. Regardless of what has happened to attempt to destroy or tarnish her true being, I have no choice but to let the duplicitous false friend be what she is, I will know nothing of her in my thoughts but the perfect child she might have been and try to let that be the thumbprint she makes in the moist clay of my life.

DB - The Vagabond
Never give up.
*************************

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Dana, I believe an addict will throw away even the most beautiful life and friendships for their disease, not by choice, but because they are sick (I know some won't agree with me, but I believe this the truth.) I am glad you can hold on to the good in your friend. I do believe it was there, and can be there still if she can ever get better. I pray she can. Addiction is a terrible, awful disease.

I am happy you are in your new place now!! You are more than a survivor! Love you!