Sunday, October 26, 2008

Heroic Harbinger - follow up

This is in response to the excellent comments I recieved on my issue called Heroic Harbinger of last night. In light of those comments I reread my essay and the only thing I find wrong with it is that it is not complete. But to completely address the issues might take a hundred pages.

First of all to probe deeply into such topics and to reason through them in the attempt to answer seemingly unanswerable questions does NOT make one an atheist.

I state "We have the right and obligation, by the way we live, to announce to all creation just what it is capable of." Why is that not to reflect back to the creator its own creation? Surely an act of love.

I also state "We are the pinnacle of earthly creation." That statement does not preclude a greater existence in the universe than ours.

My struggle has been to pass along in some viable way a lesson I have learned and am still learning which is to not oversimplify my own existence, to not cast my unknowns into the lap of God or gods and let it go at that, to not accept without question the doxology of some religious system of explanation and walk away with a cross, or some other "sign," on me, but, instead, to think for myself trusting that the creator has given me the freedom , right and ability to do that.

DB - The Vagabond

6 comments:

Dannelle said...

Agreed. Dannelle

Beth said...

Many years ago, I remember hearing a woman say, "I'm glad I have God to make decisions for me, so I don't have to make them myself."

That has always stuck with me, and I believe it's one of the most blind and idiotic statements I've ever heard. It completely negates the fact that we have been given free will, and the abilities to learn and make our own decisions. I also think it's extremely dismissive of what the God she worshipped intended to accomplish with us.

Beth

Sage Ravenwood said...

In all things, I've always believed in this one thing...If you can't believe in yourself, how then can you believe in anything else. So that essay made sense to me, in order to understand, you have to begin with self. (Hugs)Indigo

Alice said...

Hi DB, I do know what you are saying and I totally agree. We do have free will and I'm thankful I can do MY own thinking.:)....alice

betty said...

thanks DB for clarifying your thoughts

betty

Joyce said...

Nicely said DB. I get it. lol.
Hugs, Joyce