Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Who Owns You?

Who has a stiffer battle to fight than the man who is striving to conquer himself.

Thomas a Kenpis
*********************
"Not forever by still waters
Would I idly quiet stay;
But would smite the living fountains
From the rocks along my way."
(Willis)

I accepted there would be troubles when I admitted myself into the world of an artist. There would be no getting off the road and no going back, though I didn't realize it at the beginning. How do I do it? I asked. And how did I continue without the gift of being a poet?

There are no excuses. A performing artist is not one who puts on shows. The play, the dance, those are the effects. They are the results of the treacherous highway traveled alone. I would not deprive anyone of such a journey. But I would warn that it goes through dangerous territory. It goes through green pastures and still waters. It goes through the poppy fields. It passes the signs that say "stop, rest, you've done enough." Those are the danger signs.

It goes up steep, slippery slopes and through dank swamps. It cuts through jungles where vipers dangle from trees, it takes you into blazing, arid deserts. It takes you through the valley of the shadow of death.

How will I survive this, is the question that frequently surrounds you and the answer is always silence. You're on your own. It takes you through the lion's den and the fiery furnace. It puts you on the front line of battle and in the hold of a slave ship.

The highway takes you out on to a stage to hear excited applause for your work, cheers, approval, anointing, love. Your cup runs over. It takes you into wealth, and then into poverty, so that you know the value of both. It teaches you not to believe everything you tell yourself about yourself.

You pass road signs that say "You are not welcome here." There are no mile markers on this highway and ultimately no company. You're on your own. And that is as it should be, until you become your own best company.

"There is only oneself facing forever the problem of one's self discovery." (Lawrence Durrell)

Has anyone reached the ultimate destination? If so that one has achieved a remarkable and necessary goal of existence, the justification for all mercy and all strength, the white stone with a new name, that person has achieved completeness. Unchallenged and divinely approved ownership of himself.

DB - Vagabond Journeys
******************************
WINTER QUESTION
(This is not a contest)

What was the most significant event that happened in 2010?

dbdacoba@aol.com

Only 7 responses so far

I await your answer.
DB
******************************

3 comments:

Arlene (AJ) said...

I know I haven't reached the ultimate destination and in one way hope I never do, then I'd have nothing to continue to strive for. Guess I never want to think I've accomplished and done all that I hoped to do in life. I so enjoy new challenges.

Big Mark 243 said...

I think that life is but a stage and our lives is the play as we act out our role until we die.

The sounds like the journey that I thought I was on while I boxed... what I observed was that we ALL are indvidual vessels trying to negotiate our way around to finding our destiny... and in many ways I feel cursed by the awareness of the script that i wrote and the one that I am writing...

Liz said...

'Who owns you?'

If you have ever asked that question you are already a slave.